umbrella tree

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Takana_Hana, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

hi everyone, does anyone know how long it will take for an umbrella tree to root when it is being air layered?????......THANKS

2. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

Are you talking about Sciadopitys verticillata or some other plant?

3. kelley112

kelley112 Member

In my hort class we air layered a rubber tree and it took about 3 1/2 months in a green house.

4. GRSJr

Maybe it would be faster with a rubber umbrella?

Why don't you people use proper names so we know what you're talking about?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They don't know what the botanical names are, haven't thought about it enough to realize there might be a need to be more precise than a common name. If you are new to a topic the most superficial aspects may be all you are aware of.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could be Schefflera?

7. swgraham

swgraham Active Member UBC Botanical Garden

Could our more experienced posters please be tolerant of the fact that everyone comes to the forum with different levels of expertise, knowledge and interest...

These forums are for everyone, at all levels of knowledge -- please remember to be kind to those who may not know as much as you!

8. Ron B

If by using plural "posters" you are including me I think my explanation is simply that--an explanation of why some posters don't use botanical names.

9. swgraham

Thanks Ron, sometimes one's intent is not clear in written text -- without the tone of spoken language it can be prone to misinterpretation (one reason why email is not an ideal method of communication!),

Sean

10. GRSJr

Of course they're for everyone, but it's nearly impossible to help with a question if the plant being discussed is not known. A simple google on the common name would give the poster a list of botanical names to pick from.

Once they do that, others have a chance of being helpful.

11. Ron B

Of course: after a poster learns that their description is actually inadequate then they can take steps to embellish. It's the same as talking to a mechanic, if you aren't familiar with the complexities of your car and the attendant terminology you may not anticipate the questions they will ask you.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  12. GRSJr

Gee. I never have trouble getting the mechanic to understand it's the thingy under the hood that's making that sighing sound.

13. swgraham

Yes, everyone starts somewhere, eh? New posters are not "you people", they are *us* -- part of our community -- so let's respect where they're coming from.

If a poster doesn't provide enough info. in the question and you wish to help them out, it is polite to ask them for more details. Baby steps lead to big things, and a friendly hand is what these forums are all about.

All the best,
    Sean

14. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Further to what Sean said: when anyone registers for the forums, he or she agrees to this:

GRSJr, I understand your frustration, particularly so when it seems the same information is absent again and again - and to someone who might read a lot of threads, this is indeed the case. However, for each new person, it might be the first time they encounter the issue and so come at it without the knowledge that this issue comes up repeatedly.

To turn this into something productive, I invite you (or anyone else so inclined) to start a thread in the "Plant Names and Taxonomy" about the advantages and disadvantages of common names and scientific names in answering questions. If we build it up as a resource (we because I think it important that the information come from a number of perspectives), it can be something we suggest people read when information is lacking and they can have a glimpse into why scientific names are preferred for answering questions.

15. oscar

oscar Active Member

yeah try looking for bluebell, only about 9 different plants it could be ;)

Thats probably not very useful. O.o

16. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey, it's already been narrowed down to nine from several thousand plants.

17. Michael F

Looked at some of the poster's other contribs - this thread makes it clear that what he's referring to is Schefflera:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11217

So, to rephrase the original question here:

18. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Can't tell you how long because of the variables of moisture, temperature, etc., but here in Florida you cut them off wherever you want and stick them in a hole in the ground and water. The end still on the plant will generate from 1 to 4 new trunks and keep on goimg. They root quite easily.

19. newgardenerpilgriminthisland

newgardenerpilgriminthisland Member

hmm, I am a newbie, and do not know any botanical/scientific names. So I truly appreciate patience. Who knows maybe 'one day' there will be a program that when one types in a common name, it will attach the scientific name. Wouldn;t that be fun.
    I am looking forward to becoming much more knowledgeable about plants, cause I love gardening.

20. Michael F

In Britain, we have official standard English names for our native species:
    http://www.bsbi.org.uk/BSBI2007.xls
    It would be very useful if people around the world could work together towards a similar goal of a global set of standard English names (this already exists for birds), but there are a number of people (as far as I can tell, primarily in the USA) who very stridently object to this idea.

21. GRSJr

I believe the program is called Google. Type in the common name and the text scientific name and it will provide you with some choices.

Armed with these, we can help you choose among them.

22. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

GSRJr: I'm more into plants than I am this computer. I generally spend up to 'hours' looking in my books for what you suggest might be handily located on Google. Thank you for the input. I did not know! Chuck