Identification: Japanese Maple Tree ID

Discussion in 'Maples' started by I.S., Aug 7, 2017.

1. I.S.

I.S. Member

Hi,

I am a new member of the forum. Can anyone tell me what Japanese Maple cultivar this is?
    • The first seven photos were taken in April
    • The last four photos were taken in June
    I have photos that I will post next which were taken in July and August.

Thanks for your assistance.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  2. I.S.

I.S. Member

Hi all,

Here are the follow-up photos:
    • The first five photos were taken in July
    • The last two photos were taken this month
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Attached Files:

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Must be in the "amoenum" family. Maybe 'O-sakazuki' for it is a widely distributed cultivar.

Or any of the very many other possibilities ;-) The colour of the leaves in autumn could be another clue...

4. I.S.

I.S. Member

Alain,

Thanks for mentioning Osakazuki. I had not considered it. The tree spent the first growing season in relatively deep shade and all of the leaves took on the hue of Matsukaze leaves during the entire growing season last year. This year, it was placed in a more sunny location - as you see in the photos - although on the north side of the house and it's leaf colors started to take on the shade of green that lead me to believe that it was Aoyagi ( responding adversely to the overly deep shade the following season). When the new leaves continued to emerge red and eventually change to green I knew it was not Aoyagi. (I was suspicious about it being Aoyagi because to my knowledge, Aoyagi leaves emerge green and remains a shade of green the entire season.) This past fall, I was so taken with the fall colors of our Ukigumo and Seiryu that I did not notice what color the leaves were of this palmatum. I will definitely keep an eye on it this fall. Thanks for the assistance.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If you didn't notice it, most likely not Osakazuki! :) I think it is certainly not Aoyagi but beyond putting it in the Amoenum Group as Alain, I wouldn't venture a guess. Is it definitely a cultivar, that is do you see a graft mark or have some evidence it was a rooted cutting? Many seedling make fine garden plants (as you probably know)!

6. I.S.

I.S. Member

Thanks Emery. I will check for a graft mark or evidence of a rooted cutting early spring when I repot it. Whether a seedling of a cultivar or true cultivar, I will enjoy the tree just the same. Just wondered if anyone could ID it.

7. I.S.

I.S. Member

Hi everyone,

Fall has delivered a clue and this clue definitely rules out the possibility of this palmatum being Osakazuki. Also I did not detect a graft union. The photos were taken yesterday. Can anyone ID this palmatum?

Thanks for the assistance and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Attached Files:

8. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Hi there. When you finally pin this cultivar down let me know. Always looking for good yellows in the fall.
    The photo is of leaf shape and colour of Osakazuki in the fall. Best of luck with I.D.

Attached Files:

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, no graft sounds like a seedling, but sometimes the graft is so well done, and heals so well, that it is difficult to see afterwards. We'll never be able to tell what is is for sure, just a nice yellow A. amoenum. For cultivars 'Green Star' is similar to Osakazuki but yellow in fall.

-E

AlainK likes this.
  10. Ken Hamilton

Thanks Emery, I will look out for ‘Green Star’

11. Ken Hamilton

Also a very late coloring to yellow is A.p. ‘Ukon’. Photo this morning.
    Otherwise qiute uninteresting throughout the year apart from pea-green bark.

Attached Files:

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I had also thought about 'Ichigyo ji' :

"This is the sister tree to Osakazuki ... but instead of red it is yellow/orange . Often planted together with Osakazuki..it makes a striking eye opening experience in fall . But it can be planted alone . Not a big tree it can be easily pruned to be places in smaller garden settings. It has large leaves like it's sister making the viewing experience glorious even from afar. This is a super great tree on it's own and with the added attraction of having it planted with it's sister tree making grand entrances grander"

In Vertrees & Gregory:

"This plant is almost identical to 'O sakazuki' except for the fall color, which is an intense, brilliant yellow or orange-yellow, while 'O sakazuki' is crimson."

Hard to be sure of course, but another occasion to browse through the pages...

13. Ken Hamilton

I was sold this plant as Osakazuki about 8 yrs ago but turned out to be ‘Ichigyo ji’ . Delighted!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.