Arbutus: Arbutus 'Marina' in a container?

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by girlndocs, Mar 3, 2006.

1. girlndocs

girlndocs Member

Hi,

I have a 25-30gal concrete tub with excellent drainage and my original plan was to try planting A menziesii in it, as it's native to my area and I love it but have no room in the ground for it. I was hoping that planting it in a tub would keep it small(ish).

Apparently that's not a workable plan, and I am wondering if I could do it with A. Marina instead. Is it worth a try? I've had trouble finding information on the subject.

I know A. unedo is a good candidate for containers but I don't like it -- it looks much more cultivated and less graceful than either menziesii or Marina.

thanks,

Kristin

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All of these will eventually outgrow a pot that size, except perhaps a dwarf cultivar like Arbutus unedo 'Elfin King'. An A. 'Marina' in California was over 46 feet high in 1994.

3. girlndocs

girlndocs Member

How long is "eventually"? I understand Arbutus is hard to transplant, would this mean it wouldn't survive being moved from the container to open ground?

Thanks,

Kristin

4. Ron B

At some point the pot will become too small. Then you have to do something with a tree that now has a 30 gallon rootball and proportionately sized top. If you can handle that then you don't have a problem. If you have no way of dealing with it then probably better not to create the situation in the first place.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Why not try one of the Arctostaphylos species instead? - much smaller, slower-growing, and more drought-tolerant too which can be important in a tub

6. Ron B

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006