Iseli Jack Frost Collection

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is a new hybrid collection of maples from Iseli nursery. They are crossed to have the beauty of Acer palmatum and cold hardy of Korean Acer pseudosieboldianum. Tested in USDA zone 4a with temperatures down to -30 degrees Fahrenheit (-34 C.) "with no winter dieback".

"Jack Frost® maples are an exciting new line of small to medium-sized landscape trees from Iseli Nursery. Hybridized over the last 20+ years using Acer pseudosieboldianum as the foundation for hardiness combined with the beauty in leaf and branching of Acer palmatum, they have been evaluated and selected to tolerate the dramatic weather shifts in the upper Midwest of North America. Jack Frost® maples bring a new level of durability to a popular group of landscape trees."

Acer 'IsIAJ' registered 2/19/2013 as:
    Acer x pseudosieboldianum Arctic Jade® | Iseli Nursery

Acer 'IslID' registered 4/4/2017 as:
    Acer x pseudosieboldianum Ice Dragon™ | Iseli Nursery

Acer 'IslNW' registered 4/30/2013 as:
    Acer x pseudosieboldianum North Wind® | Iseli Nursery

Jack Frost® Collection | Iseli Nursery

Acer 'IsIAvl' registered 9/17/2013 as:
    Acer x pseudosieboldianum Avalanche® | Iseli Nursery

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I wonder if they're grafting onto pseudosieboldianum? And will every other licensee do the same?

I can't help but note that the cultivar names are impossible to say, which pretty much forces people to use the TM name! :)

Avoids the 'Gwen's Rose Delight' vs Shirazz problem, though the rules have it we're supposed to use the cultivar name to refer to the various clones...

-E

3. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I have the North Wind-- it's one of my favorite JMs, and to me is a worthwhile cultivar even without its cold tolerance. I started a file on it in the photos section of the page-- you should see the fall color! Long-lasting and vivid color every year, and excellent form. My sister, who lives in zone 4, is growing Arctic Jade. It's doing well, but I would say it has more of the pseudosieboldianum form, which to my eye is more crowded and bunchy.

I've also seen Ice Dragon at local nurseries....they were selling for hundreds of dollars, which I'm assuming is because it's new to the market and in high demand. I'm not so wild about this one-- it grows extremely vigorously, and to me it looks a bit sloppy. I haven't seen one carefully pruned, though...perhaps it can be controlled.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for sharing your experience and I do agree that your tree is beautiful!

How drought sensitive is your tree? For example, is it one of the first or last of your trees to show any signs of damage to the leaves during a hot and dry spell? I'm thinking it maybe a good fit for my parents who seem to think the only reason you get out a hose is to wash the car. My wife thinks I'm adopted because I am nothing like my family when it comes to plants and life in general;-)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with these varieties and sharing your beautiful photos in the maple photo gallery.

5. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I bought a $60 tree several years ago in a 2-gallon pot. I gave it some watering the first year, but haven't watered it much since. It is in mostly shade, so that probably helps, but at the same time it's growing very near two large crab apples (the neighbors' trees), and I know that ground is pretty dry because of their root systems. I've never seen it show any stress.

Since we're in 5b, we don't very often get big hot and dry spells. Iseli nursery, however, is in zone 8 or 9, correct? They must deal with some dry summer months there. I bet it would do well.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for all the great insight! I appreciate you and all your help.

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's a very apt comparison of the port of the two species. The Korean Maple is indeed much more crowded, and does less of the "self pruning" of interior branches that gives the palmatum and ssp such natural elegance.

Wanted to chip in that pseudosieboldianum is much less drought sensitive than palmatum. I wonder how much would depend on the understock though?

I was thinking wow $60 for a 2 liter! But saw it was 2 gallons, not the same thing, heh. :)

-E

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Northern Glow® Maple
    Another from JFS Introductions
    Acer pseudosieboldianum x palmatum 'Hasselkus'
    Northern Glow® Maple
    The refined character of Japanese maple can now be enjoyed beyond its traditional hardiness range. This hybrid selection, developed in Madison, WI, by Professor Ed Hasselkus, originated from seed of the tough and cold-hardy Korean maple, but most resembles its A. palmatum parent. Attractive in summer green, its graceful, spreading form glows bright with fall colors.
    Shape: Upright then broadly spreading
    Foliage: Green
    Fall Color: Bright orange-red to deep red

Attached Files: