Pricked by a plant and now very sore.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Quankus, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Quankus

Quankus New Member

While walking through a field I managed to dodge the cactus but got pricked by a plant in the shin. It went straight in and drew a very small amount of blood but didn't hurt too bad at all. This was Sunday 6/11 and now about 4 days later my shin area is very sore, feels almost like a bone bruise.

In my limited research and knowledge of the subject it looks like a version of Nolina to me. But it was more squat, like 12 inches tall or so. I apologize for the terrible photos, I didn't think anything of it at the time and this is all I have after the fact.

Any way this soreness is a chemical reaction to the plant?

Please advise, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definitely, not Nolina, but Yucca instead. There are last-year dry fruits visible in the second photo just above the rail. For Denver area, Yucca glauca is the most probable candicate.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I've been stabbed with Yucca sp. and Agave sp before and other thorny plants and trees. As clean and beautiful as we think the Great Outdoors should be, it is full of stuff that is contaminated with random things. Those thorns go deep. They actually can injure the outer layer of the bone, and they can introduce infection. I try to soak in warm or hot soapy water with either chlorine bleach or Epsom salts added that evening. If there is a small bit of plant tissue still inside the puncture, it may swell with the soak (and the soap and the salt) and come out on its own. Even without extraneous material and an infection, the puncture will still feel like an aggressive intramuscular injection for several days. If the pain is much worse than that, if the redness starts to radiate out from the site, and if the site is warm or hard, see a doctor again.

The Yucca that stabbed you is not likely to be the direct culprit, just the means of introduction to your shin.

5. Quankus

Quankus New Member

Thank you all for your timely responses! Yucca looks right to me and I have symptoms similar to that of a shard of plant material left behind or a injured outer layer of bone that's possibly infected.

I will soak my ankle in the suggested soap and epsom salts even though it's been 4 days since the initial contact and make an appointment with a podiatrist. If anybody has any more suggestions on treatment or how to counter the infection in the meantime all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks botanical garden community!