Can you tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by ginnyd7, May 27, 2017.

1. ginnyd7

ginnyd7 Member

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Why don't you suspect they are part of the Lonicera involucrata? Leaves look similar; opposite arrangement, too.

3. ginnyd7

ginnyd7 Member

The leaves are perhaps 10 times the size of the other leaves on the shrub, but when I went out to look at it again I did begin to think it is part of the lonicera and that perhaps being in the shade made them grow that large. Thank you for responding. I feel silly having asked.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, get over that! It gave us something interesting to do. :)
    Next time, please post the photos here so they show up as photos. See
    Attach photos and files.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No need to feel silly! The 10x context would have made me suggest that it is the same plant, with some vigorous new shoots. It can happen because plants are to some extent "plastic" in terms of how they develop physically. I once collected a Manitoba maple leaf (if you are familiar with those relatively small leaves) that was the size of a bigleaf maple--same thing, though, on a young shoot.