Need help to identify palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Illumin8or, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Illumin8or

Illumin8or Member

Could someone please help me to identify the type of palm I have, and give me your best guess as to how tall it may grow? (Anything over 25 feet will be a problem!)

About five years ago I bought an unknown six foot palm with two stems. I separated the roots and planted them separately. One promptly turned into a sickly two footer, as it is today. The other grew robustly and is now about 15 feet tall.

These pictures were taken 9/2004. The tree had 8 growth rings then. It now has 16. The leaves are attached to the stem in an inverted "V", with the peak of the "V" up (^).

Could someone please tell me what it is, and how high it may grow? Is there a pictoral site where an identified photo might reside?

Warren

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. Majesty palm, Ravanea rivularis

3. Illumin8or

Illumin8or Member

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have an ideamhow tall a Majesty palm might grow?

(This one is beginning to look scarily robust!)

4. Emim

Emim Member

About 10'

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Did you mean 10 m? Info sheets that I look at indicate a mature height of 40 ft (12 m).

Also correct spelling is Ravenea rivularis.

I don't know palms so can't speak on the actuall ID.

6. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

7. S.S

S.S Member

I have worked at a wholesale palm nursery with plenty of these inground at an easy 3+m of trunk then the crown on top. But the biggest I have seen are at Australia's Gold Coast Movie World. When I first saw the trunks I thought 'Gee what a solid looking plam' and looked up at least 10m to realise I was looking at two very mature Majestic palms. The trunks were easily as wide as a fully grown Royal palm (Roystonea) and I would have barely been able reach another person's hands around the girth.