pencil cacti

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by daldan, Feb 27, 2006.

1. daldan

daldan Member

Hi Everyone...I'm very new to this site and need some info on what I think is a pencil cacti. I got it when I was house sitting and just fell in love with it as I do with all cacti but the plant is growing but drooping to the side and was looking on the net for some info on how too grow it and all the pics I saw where with little bumps (so to speak) kink of thorn groth but without the thorn. I also want to know if its wize to tie a stick to it to keep it straight or is it going to grow with always needing support?
    I also found a jade when I was in cali last and broke off a branch and that was 3yrs ago and still alive(knock on wood) but not fast in groth are those slow growers?

Thanks all for all the input you could give me :)

daldan

2. S.S

S.S Member

As with most plants if you do stake place 2 or 3 stakes around the plant at good distance from plant then loosely tie a broad type of material (hession bag, stocking, grafting tape etc.). Allow the plant to have some movement so it does not rely on stakes and eventually will support itself. This works even for the biggest transplanted trees so I can't see any harm in it.
    As for your jade plant they are slow growing even more so if you have one of the variegated varities.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Remember to have your desert plants receive as much winter dy light as possible, and do not over water...the biggest deterent to a healthy succulent and cacti is over watering. A commercial fert. can be applied gradually to sustain the continuous growth, and stop fertilizing throughout the winter months.