ID help please. Ranunculus bulbosa?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Apr 10, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

I hope a member can help with the ID. Could very well be Ranunculus bulbosa! Thank you. I should mention that the leaves are covered with extremely fine hairs. The sepals are slighty bent backwards.

Attached Files:

• 059.JPG
      059.JPG
      File size:
      507.4 KB
      Views:
    • 060.JPG
      060.JPG
      File size:
      333.8 KB
      Views:
    • 061.JPG
      061.JPG
      File size:
      156.9 KB
      Views:
    • 062.JPG
      062.JPG
      File size:
      115.4 KB
      Views:
    • 063.JPG
      063.JPG
      File size:
      267.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

Probably not. Ranunculus bulbosus has got sepals that are strongly bent backwards. Image 060.JPG does not look like that.

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

HelloRobert, The sepals on this particular specimen were inverted/reflexed, that is why I opted for R bulbosus, the foliage being another reason. The leaves were covered in extremely fine hairs, almost impossible to see.

4. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

Hello duffy,
    The foliage looks rather odd for Ranunculus bulbosus in my opinion. Just look at E-Flora BC Atlas Page. The leaves of this species are very variable, but usually much more strongly dissected. Unfortunately I cannot help much, because of my highly insufficient knowledge of the flora from your area. I have never been there and never anywhere in Italy south of Lake Garda. I checked an online flora of Italy, but I only found one species in your area that looks similar (but probably not in a sufficient manner) and appears to have reflexed sepals, Ranunculus velutinus, see Ranunculus velutinus - Specie della flora italiana. So I am sorry, I just do not know what you found there. I might have overlookeed something, though. There are lots of buttercup species in Italy.

5. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

RANUNCULUS  BULBOSUS 13-05-2015 10-14-57.JPG RANUNCULUS  BULBOSUS 13-05-2015 10-18-35.JPG

To give you an idea duffy, this is Ranunculus bulbosus ..taken near here in Scotland.
    Sorry I cannot help id your pics.

6. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hi Silver Surfer, Thank you for reply to my thread. The reflexed sepals certainly are R. Bulbosus but I notice a difference between the leaves in your photographs. Of course, in Italy we have many species of Ranunculus, these can be difficult to ID!!

7. duffy

duffy Active Member

Not too far from where I found the above species, there was a Ranunculus with black marks on the foliage. Can you suggest what sp. Has black markings on the leaves?