Gulf Island Gardening

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Cynthia Barrett, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Cynthia Barrett

Cynthia Barrett New Member

Can anyone suggest a shrub or tree that would survive frequent south easterly winds and a close proximity to the Pacific Ocean...thus the salt air? Add to this the wonderful challenge with Deer eating most Deer resistant plants here! Thank you.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Several native plants are associated with this type of environment: Juniperus maritima, Malus fusca, Holodiscus discolor, Quercus garryana, Picea sitchensis, as examples. Do you have a size requirement?

Assuming you will also have an issue with summer drought, if you scroll down this page from the Sunshine Coast Botanical Garden: Drought Gardening Tips , you will find a list of plants that might work in this situation as well, though there are only a few shrubs and no trees (so, doesn't answer your question).

Also, I see they are having their plant sale on May 7--that would be a great opportunity to both tap into advice from other local gardeners as well as possibly pick something up that is suitable!

Hopefully, others chime in to add to what I wrote!

3. Cynthia Barrett

You have provided excellent plant information and additional contacts that I can make wth the folks on the Sunshine Coast. Many thanks!

Cynthia

4. rhodomontade

rhodomontade Active Member

Hello Cynthia: How close to the Pacific? Also, slope, aspect, soil? And are the southeasterlies the predominant wind (direction).
    Regards

5. Cynthia Barrett

The purpose of this project is to shield a driveway from a small cliff (perhaps 15 ft. directly above the ocean). Soil conditions are untested, but various grasses, Ocean Spray, spring bulbs, Shasta daisies, red hot poker, and Rosemary seem to thrive there. The property faces south east and is in full sun. There is no slope at all. The winds we get are directly from the south east and being on the very south - most tip of the island, .....fall and winter winds are significantly strong. The rest of the property supports a number of ancient juniper, fir, and Arbutus.
    In this setting a collection of a certain bush would be most appropriate instead of trees. I was thinking possibly of Saracocca. Too much sun?

Thank you for making me think more about the importance of 'the right plant in the right place'. Any more advice would be much appreciated.

Cynthia Barrett

6. rhodomontade

I'd try and go with some native species, much as Daniel recommended. However, most are slow growing so you could consider some sacrifice plants/trees also.
    For trees, Picea sitchensis is best as Daniel suggested. Aside from the local oaks, perhaps Q. ilex? For conifers, you could try Cupressus x leylandii. Once established, it can tolerate wind and some salt. Pines tend to do better than Cupressus or Picea. So, e.g. P. nigra.
    Daniel mentioned Juniperus maritima, but that is very hard to source. You could look for J. scopulorum as the two are near identical and maritima has yet to be formally recognised as a separate species (correct me if I'm wrong, Daniel!).

For hedges, Elegnus x ebbingei, though I have yet to locate a supplier. Failing that, try a another Oleaster cultivar.
    Crataegus - the red hawthorn, not the black as it tolerates drier conditions.
    Hippophae rhamoides
    Prunus spinosa
    Lagerstroemia aka crepe myrtle.
    Griselinia littoralis (from New Zealand, but I have seen it for sale on the Island)
    Ceanothus impressus or thyrsiflorus

No gorse as that is invasive. Ditto holly unless you can find the native species.

I suspect Saracocca will have a hard time with strong winds and salt. It's Himalayan/SE Asia in origin.

For ideas, you could look on:
    Plants for coastal areas/RHS Gardening

And for smaller planting, there are a number of S. African plants - crocosima comes to mind which can go with the red hot pokers, and also Mediterranean plants. The African plants will require growing farther back. Most species are from fairly small remnant African Mediterranean biome(s) that are not too salt tolerant except those around Cape Town.

Cornish gardens, notably St. Michael's Mount, and some Bretagne gardens have similar conditions to yours and they are worth investigating.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  7. Cynthia Barrett

You have helped me a great deal! ..... I almost dashed out to buy 5 saraccoca! (their fragrance is seductive)...
    I will be taking your list to Arts Nursery in Surrey...or possibly or Brentwood Nusery on the Island;....got to know them from the MG program - but I will return to the RHS site and definately check with the folks at St. Michael's Mount. I do tend to prefer the indigenous plants if at all possible!

Many thanks,

Cynthia Barrett

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I think Juniperus maritima is a good species--it's just taking a while to find its way into people's understanding. General rule of thumb is that if you can find locally-sourced juniper along the coast, it is going to be Juniperus maritima. Interior Juniperus scopulorum grown along the coast (such as UBC BG) looks scraggly and unhealthy.

9. rhodomontade

Hello Daniel:
    I'm but a humble rock basher with slightly green tinted fingers. I wasn't sure what species or cultivars wrt juniper, are available at nurseries.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Oops, don't read anything into my brevity except for the fact I have a busy day! I appreciate your input and advice!

11. rhodomontade

Hello Cynthia: I'm not sure if you know of Fraser's Thimble Farms on Saltspring, but they have plenty of interesting plants. They're taking orders, now.
    Also:
    1. Russell Nurseries, N. Saanich
    2. BC Wild Heritage Plants BC's Wild Heritage Plants By appointment, and open late in the season due to location. Well worth the drive.
    3. Far Reaches Farm in Port Townsend. However, I think they don't ship to Canada. They tried but it was too complicated, though I am double checking with them (again). They have quite exotic material also, often obtained from overseas botanical expeditions.
    Regards

12. Cynthia Barrett

Wow! Thank you, once more, for your exceptional support! I now have a great selection of resources from which to explore.

Many many thanks for your research skills!

Cynthia

13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

14. Cynthia Barrett

Excellent idea! It will be enormously helpful - and make nusery 'bumbering' much more fun!

15. rhodomontade

I have about 250 links to nurseries, gardens and rhodos that needs a good home. I was thinking of a website, but if there are a lot of interested people here, I can upload here perhaps...

wcutler likes this.
  16. wcutler

Sure, I can do a few at a time. If they are in a document now, you can upload the document (as a document), in a posting to the discussion thread at
    Outdoor Gardening in the Pac NW Resources. If a document, I'd prefer Word or Notepad rather than PDF.
    I hope you have comments on them already, or can add them before posting them. Even better if you already know if they do online sales (or if you want to do that research, else I'll have to do it). Have a look at the Resources page to see what we're collecting.
    Subforums Resources | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    We don't have anything on Gardens per se. I guess what would be of interest would be ones that support a particular forums area. So it would be helpful to say which area each entry should go in, even if you don't want to sort them by area. For instance, nurseries in the Pac NW that specialize in Rhodos would probably go in the Resource file for both areas.

I knew I was going to get in trouble starting this Resource. :)

17. Cynthia Barrett

You are amazing! I have to take time to process the details of this project! Why on earth would you think you were EVER in any sort of trouble! Knowledge is power... to quote a cliche.....

18. wcutler

Ha! I meant time trouble. Rhodomontade did say she (?) has 250 links. That's 250 entries I might have just agreed to write up, and some of them will go under more than one resource.

19. rhodomontade

Mr. Hughes here :) Spreadsheet with hotlinks and phone numbers for nearly all. Piece of cake, though I'll wait and see how many people are interested.
    Cheers

20. wcutler

A lot of interested people might not be reading this Gulf Island thread.

21. Daniel Mosquin

I think it'd definitely be worth it as a resource.

22. Cynthia Barrett

There are superb gardeners on Pender Island who would no doubt benefit from and contribute to a Gulf Is. thread, I believe!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  23. Polar

Polar Active Member

Just to add another possibility: Morella californica (aka Myrica californica) grows well where we are, right by the ocean, exposed to strong winds, full sun, salt, summer drought. Our plants are about 10’ high now after 8 yrs. I understand there is a stand growing by the ocean in Tofino.

See E-Flora BC: E-Flora BC Atlas Page

And: View Plant | Great Plant Picks

I have seen it rarely but occasionally in specialty nurseries.

What have you planted finally? Has it worked?