Pea Troubles

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by DianaC, Feb 18, 2006.

1. DianaC

DianaC Member

Hello, I am taking a botany course and had some trouble with some of my seeds. The class was given the task of planting different seeds that we would later examine, and I had peas. The instructors note was to plant your seeds in the soil about two times their diameter down As I had large peas, I planted the seeds about a centimeter or so below the surface. All of my classmates who used peas did the same thing. Their seeds germinated, mine did not. I cannot figure out why this happened. We used the same soil, same light, and the same amount of water for each of the pea plants. Would there be any other factor that would single out my plants?
    Any information would be appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you had pea seeds of different origin from the others maybe they weren't viable (dead).

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Tempurature? How long has it been?

4. DianaC

DianaC Member

I think the seeds were all from the same packet and are all under the same lights. It has been about a week. If I were to start over next week, could I re-plant the same seeds or would I need to use different ones?

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

A week does seem like a long time. Peas are notoriously easy to germinate (that’s why they would be given to you). If it’s for a school project I would talk it over with your professor before you altered the experiment. He/she might know what went wrong and us it as part of the class (eg. Reasons why seeds won’t germinate). If it were a home garden I would say get some more seeds, but it’s not a home garden and is part of an experiment so I wouldn’t suggest you change anything without consulting your teacher.

6. goat

goat Member

I would buy fresh peas and try again. It sounds like you did everything right.