Prunus Mume seed source EU

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Houzi, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Hello,1st time on this forum.Can anyone suggest sources for Prunus Mume seeds(stones)in EU?.Can't find any in UK but it's ok to import from inside EU.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Houzi

Thanks for replying JK.Looks like those are actually from US despite UK web address.All results seem to be UKorUS when searching.Just found some on Ebay from Spain that work out about £1 each with postage(that seem expensive?).....annoying when they're only £0.10 from China.
    PS..Do you think this is the best forum to post this?

4. Junglekeeper

I noticed while searching for sources that there were a number of sites relating to bonsai. Perhaps you'll have some luck if you extended your search in that direction. For example. Making inquiries at local sources who are not necessarily online. If they don't have it then perhaps they know of where it can be sourced.
    Probably not since P. mume is not actually a cherry. Perhaps you can ask a moderator to move it to a more appropriate forum.

5. Junglekeeper

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm reading this, and willing to move the thread, but I can't think of a better sub-forum. Fruit trees? This is really ornamental, isn't it?

7. Junglekeeper

Perhaps the general purpose HortForum would be best as the post will likely get more eyeballs there.

8. Houzi

Thanks again JK,I am getting 2 trees in autumn,the only 2 cultivars available in UK but I've wanted to grow some of my own for ages...finally getting round to investigating.Several Bonsai sites did show up but again mainly US or just adice.Think you're right and I'll have to contact places individually,have started messaging a few places today and wait for replies.Worst comes to worst I'll get'em from Ebay.
    Hi Wendy,you can move it to the general forum if you think it's wise.Personally I don't think any of the fruit forums are really interested in this particular species(perhaps understandably)

9. Junglekeeper

I did encounter several UK sites selling bonsai specimens but the prices were quite high.

By the way, in case you're not aware, reportedly only the species of this tree will grow true from seed.

10. Houzi

Yes,I guess that's true for most plants.I actually like the simple species trees but all we have here are 2 Japanese cultivars with more blousy flowers :)..gues it's just a supply and demand thing.

11. Houzi

Thanks Wendy!