Unknown perennial

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by roneill, Jul 17, 2016.

1. roneill

roneill Active Member 10 Years

Can anyone id this little beauty?

Attached Files:

Sundrop likes this.
  2. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

roneill likes this.
  3. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

True, it is beautiful.

Here is a picture I posted on this forum a few years ago of the one growing in one of my flower beds. Centaurea_macrocephala_armenian_basket_flower.jpg

As for supposed invasiveness, well, living in the Nelson area where it is "reported" according to the link above:
    I have never seen it anywhere.

It reseeds itself freely, as many plants do, but in a very short radius. This alone doesn't make a plant invasive. Neither does it make a plant invasive if it "Likely occurs in gardens".

It could be that one overzealous scientist decided to classify it as invasive in BC and others feel obligated to spread that info far and wide. Sad.

5. roneill

roneill Active Member 10 Years

The specimen I posted was actually found in a garden in Hills, about an hour north of Nelson. I was also surprised by the 'invasive' label as I've never seen it before. Thanks for your reply.

6. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Not so sad as some things in this world... Excuse me for passing the information along, I only thought that it might be of interest. I am sure that under the observation of a gardener there would be little chance for spread of this beautiful plant. On the other hand though perhaps in a changing climate this species, or others like it which have been deemed "invasive", could become a serious ecological, or economic problem species. I truly see no harm in spreading the information now so that we can all be mindful of our garden plants...The more you know. I admit that I was taken aback by your implication that there is something wrong with sharing information about exotic species.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  7. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Eyerah, thank you for posting that link. It is interesting. In field work we have to consider many sources, and consider that some of them may be flawed.

I've been stung by a bug entomologists would say was not found in my area. No doubt in my mind, and it's not something someone would intentionally import and release. That caused some challenges in treating the subsequent wound.

Another example is the iron content of spinach. Most sources will tell you it is very high in iron. That's an error perpetuated by a misplaced decimal in a published book of a century ago.

Many sources coupled with experience should guide us. Your link was in fact helpful, and had the added benefit of being from the British Columbian government. This is what the original poster wanted: an ID of the plant in the photo.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  8. Sundrop

Living in the Kootenays in the Nelson area I would like to know where I could see Centaurea macrocephala taking over in the wild here. If anyone knows I would appreciate sharing the info with me. So far I haven't been successful in my inquiry.

And, just in case, there is no subtexts in this message (as it wasn't in the previous one), so please don't take anything personally anybody.

9. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

My guess is that the "overzealous" scientists who are concerned with this species look beyond the regional context of the Kootenays. Perhaps that is why these things are monitored at various scales.
    I've lived in the Kootenays myself and never saw the species occurring anywhere but in gardens. Please excuse me for my sneaking suspicion that your inquiry is merely a bit of rhetoric. And my apologies in advance for being standoffish, to me this is all in good fun, so please don't take offence.

One other interesting things that your post brings up is the idea of early detection and response to potential problem species. It is quite obvious (and supported by research) that preventing the introduction of a potential problem species is much more economical than treating it's pathologies once they develop. So the point of distributing a simple fact sheet is to nip potential problems in the bud before a species begins "taking over in the wild".

And for those who are afraid of overarching government control I would say that I have never personally heard of the government interfering with gardeners who responsibly maintain populations of potentially invasive plant species (yellow flag iris for example, but that is another story

10. Sundrop

Sorry Eyerah, but please pay attention to the information in your own link:
    Again, I repeat:
    Since you are so convinced of the invasiveness of the plant could you explain what it is that makes it so threatening?

As for a broader discussion on the invasive species, sorry I am not going to get involved at this time.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Likely, the listing of Centaurea macrocephala in BC is partly due to the track record of other species of Centaurea in combination with Washington's experience: WaTech ASM Service . These are class A weeds in Washington, "Non-native species that are limited in distribution in Washington. State law requires that these weeds be eradicated". (emphasis theirs)

It isn't a problem now in BC, it likely won't ever be a problem in BC, but it helps to inform others that it could be a problem...so, keep an eye on it while enjoying it. The biology of invasiveness is interesting, often involving tipping points over long timescales.

thanrose likes this.