Needing identification please.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Afterglow, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

I have another tree/bush I hope someone can help identify for me, I noticed it growing early in the spring this year under one of my Japanese Maples, I was hoping it was a seedling from the maple, but as it slowly grew, Im pretty sure its something else, its approx 5 inches high now with about 10 leaves (start of July 2016).

There was no evidence of anything in the Acontifolium's pot when the maple was planted last autumn, there's a few trees in neighbouring gardens, but not sure of their species, the young plant looks like a tree seedling but I'm not an excpert by any means. The maple was mulched at base over the winter with bark, and I do feed the birds over the winter with bird seed. I'm located in north east England, UK.

Any ideas anyone please?

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The fact that this seedling is growing slowly does not rule out the possibility that it is a Japanese Maple. It is very common for maple seeds to germinate under and near these trees and they do grow very slowly. This particular seedling may be from another JM in the vicinity, probably cross pollinated. It could even have been in the soil before you purchased the tree. From my experience, there are often only 2 to 4 true leaves the first year JMs begin to grow.

If it looks interesting to you, dig it up and put it in a pot for a year or two. Otherwise, just weed it out.

Speaking of weeds, there is a tiny Cardamine hirsuta (Snapweed) in the second photo which you must definitely pull up along with all its brothers and sisters to avoid having them popping up everywhere in your garden. Where I live, snapweeds were unheard 0f until the late-1970s. Many believe they were first introduced via nursery stock but, whatever the case, they are now they are in everyone's gardens and very difficult to eliminate.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sycamore Maple (Acer pseudoplatanus) seedling. Yes, a maple, but not really one you want to keep, unless you want a huge tree.

4. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Thankyou Margot and again Michael for taking the time to post and helping me, the border the seedling is growing in was empty before last autumn, so the seedling has come from somewhere, maybe from the ericaceous compost the maple was planted in, or the bark used as mulch, or even the birds, I guess we'll never know.

I read up on the snapweed Margot, and usually gently turn over the soil once a week to keep the weeds down, but when I took photos of seedling, it hadn't been done for a week or two, so the weed wouldn't normally be there, thanks to you I know what this weed is now called, I'm learning a lot here, so many thanks.

And what can I say Michael, you know your stuff, thankyou for exact identification and Latin name too, this helps me search the forum and google to read up.

Like my oak seedling, I would like to grow them on for a few years or so as these are the first seedlings I've had in the garden, and it will be interesting to watch them grow, I certainly don't have the room once they really start growing,, but once they have grown some, I think I would like to donate them to a local bird sanctuary which I've visited since I was a child, help the environment in my own little way.

My kindest regards to you both, thankyou again.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I like the idea of letting unfamiliar 'volunteers' in the garden grow for however long it takes to identify them and/or allow them to reveal their intentions. It can be an adventure of discovery. Occasionally you may find you have a treasure on your hands but it is more likely that the new plant is a rampant self-seeder, ie. weed. I will never forget watching a beautiful little thing with lacey leaves germinate and grow until it formed buds and I suddenly realized that it was Herb Robert. Even though I immediately pulled it up and threw it in the garbage, it had somehow released seeds which I pulled for several years afterwards.

By the way, turning the soil to keep weeds down is no longer considered a preferable weed-control strategy. No only does it disturb the soil structure, it actually brings more seeds to the surface where they will germinate. A better (and much easier) way to suppress weed germination is to spread mulch over the soil. This has many benefits besides saving you work. There are many websites that discuss the value of mulches and give suggestions of which are best for which situations; for example: A QUICK PRIMER ON MULCH Gardener's Best Friend | MGABC

6. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Hey Margot, I feel the same way, let something grow and see how it goes, for me, its not very often something other than weeds grow, so its exciting having anything else growing. Some weeds look like flowers to me, and I've been fooled too in the past, I didn't realise turning over the soil would bring about more, long term I have planned on putting bark down, but as my planting hasn't finished yet an some extra fence posts needing to go in, I've held off for now.

I will look forward to reading the link, thankyou for taking the tme to post, I've learnt a lot there, best regards with kindness.