Identification: Can You ID This House Plant for Me?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by HopWorks, May 25, 2016.

1. HopWorks

HopWorks New Member

Greets All!

I apologize if this has been posted. Since it is an image and I have no idea how to search for it, I did not know where else to turn.

They were marked down when I bought three of them. The other two died, but the third one had just enough leaves for me to put it under a grow light next to my basil bush (a CFL array of four bulbs - 2 each of 2700k and 6500k, on a timer) , give it some miracle grow, and see what happens. In the images, it's the plant on the left. The one on the right is my basil bush.
    20160525_160742.jpg 20160525_160814.jpg
    It's slow growing, but there are several new leaves and it seems to be coming back. The progress has taken a whole 6 weeks!!

I just want to know what it is so I may better care for it. Obviously what I did before did not work.

Thank you for your time!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a cultivar of Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) or Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane).

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I thought the same as Junglekeeper, and I can't tell which of those, but would guess Dieffenbachia . It can use a lot less light than the basil (which looks beautiful - are you even eating any of it?).

4. HopWorks

HopWorks New Member

Yes, but not all of the clippings. I have to hedge it once every other week and take most of the clippings and put them in a bowl as a fragrance for the kitchen.
    Believe it or not, it was a simple small live basil plant I bought in the produce department at Sprouts. They were in a display as fresh basil for cooking. I ended up not using it for our holiday cooking and didn't want to waste it, so I potted it, trimmed it, fed and watered it with miracle grow (only every other week) and it exploded! I wanted to move it to the kitchen island, but the CCFL grow bulbs I bought for the down-rod lighting was WAY bigger than I expected. See attached images.
    20160113_164257.jpg 20160113_164313.jpg 20160113_165720.jpg
    lol. My family reminded me that the light was too big by wearing sunglasses when in the kitchen. I got the hint, after my eye site returned. Still looking for a grow light solution for this plant that is more eye-friendly in the kitchen.

I will probably either porch-pot her or plant her by the garden. I want to wait until she's about 100%-200% bigger.

5. HopWorks

HopWorks New Member

I don't think this is a Dieffenbachia but I could be wrong. I've had them and this looks different in the way the new leaves propagate. I'll post my images in other forums and see if the prevailing opinion is this type of plant.

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Definitely Dieffenbachia, possibly 'Camouflage'

Daniel Mosquin likes this.