Acer palmatum 'Mikawa yatsubusa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Themapleman, Apr 23, 2004.

1. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Here's my little guy.

How much sun does Mikawa yatsubusa like? I just planted mine and it only gets 2-3 hours of mid-day sun but I think it's already showing signs of leaf burn in May. It has me a little worried because I really like it and thought this was the perfect spot but now I'm debating if I should move it or if it just needs a little more time to get established. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I have a MY in a bonsai pot, it's at least 10 years old, and it receives at least 2-3 hours of direct scorching Oregon sunshine each day with lots of filtered light the rest of the time. It's never experienced leaf burn and seems to be a very happy tree. My other MY, however, is about 5' tall, planted in the ground, and is always in bright filtered light with very little direct sun, and it sometimes shows browning on the tips because it's in a breezier area. Might your plant be in an area where wind is a problem?

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I don't think wind should be a problem, it's surounded by wild oak forest. I think it must be either stress from the transplant or too much water. When I planted it I gave it plenty of water and then it rained for 3 days. The soil has a lot of clay so I'm just hoping it's not drowning. It's been a couple weeks since it's rained but if I put my finger down an inch or two, the soil still feels moist. Here is a picture of whats happening to the leaves.

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

No, this isn't leaf burn: something else is going on here. I don't like the splotches on the leaves nor the way the leaves are coming off the petiole. Also it appears that the exposed stem is black, and none of this is what you want. Do you have an agricultural extension plant clinic nearby? If not, what I would do in your situation is dig it up, check the roots for health, create a larger space in your clay soil wherein you put really good soil, check the plant thoroughly for insects, replant, and make sure you get good drainage for it. It doesn't look well to me, and I'm sorry for that. But I'm not sure from your photo what the pathogen is.

5. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

The pictures with the greenish red and the orangish red were taken only a few days apart. My MY is always one of the latest to change color.

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

a work of art

Attached Files:

• 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      File size:
      563.3 KB
      Views:
    • 063.jpg
      063.jpg
      File size:
      571 KB
      Views:
  7. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

My Mikawa Yatsubusa I got from Diana at Topiary Gardens. It's my first potted JM.

Attached Files:

BlackMaple likes this.
  8. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I don't have any worthwhile photos to add- my M.Y. was viciously trimmed by rabbits over the winter and is just now fully leafed out. I just wanted to add that M.Y. has such a lovely, perfect green color. In my collection not many JMs achieve that perfect, true green. No overtones of red, no green-yellows, just green. Every time I see it in the garden I stop and soak it in, then start off with a smile. What a marvelous little tree.

9. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

My second Mikawa Yatsubusa that is quite a bit larger than the one above. I love this cultivar.

A0B107D1-8997-4C10-9A89-52614E59A883_zpslkkzybhs.jpg

10. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

That's a beauty! Enjoy it!

11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I just had a M.Y. shipped to me this spring. I am loving this little tree. They all have such marvelous form and nice color.

Attached Files:

12. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is a picture of Spring seeds. First time our tree had any seeds in my 6 years with this tree. The tree was about ten years old when it was acquired. 2nd photo is the tree with seeds. 3rd photo is a nine year old tree grown as bonsai for the past 6 years.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My little Acer palmatum ' Mikawa Yatsubusa ' is showing some lovely new growth this year. Only it's second year in the ground.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

27th July 2020 and this is my Mikawa Yatsubusa being trained. They don't become beautiful specimens overnight. It takes many many years to get them into the shape you want for your garden. And sometimes it never happens. But the trying is what gardening is all about.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Having a difficult time in this heat as can be seen. But as it has been extreme for this part of the world, I'm not too disappointed.

Attached Files:

16. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Both of my Mikawas are growing steadily without any issues. A must have!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    Hasn't made much if any new growth this year, then all of a sudden nearing the end of August off it goes. Such a weired year!!

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. Thought I would show the other side of my Mikawa Yatsabusa and the spurt of new and strange new growth. Might tag this and remove in the Spring. !!!?

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Yes new growth and it's September tomorrow!!!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    A week on and the new growth on my Mikawa Yatsabusa has turned green very quickly, my fingers are crossed for no early frosts this Autumn.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

I was asked the other day, "when does your Mikawa Yatsabusa start to tun". Well here on the 8th October 2020 here it is just starting.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

29th October 2020 and its turning. With the rain and very mild weather a bit late, but as the old saying goes 'better late than never'.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

2nd November 2020 and after very strong winds all weekend, I woke to see my Mikawa Yatsabusa brightening my day.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

22nd March 2021 and I thought I would show what not to do with a name tag. If you look closely at mine you will see the tree has closed around the metal label tie.
    Mikawa yatsubusa 709.JPG

Romain01 likes this.
  25. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ouch!

But if you cut the wire, it will be recovered by the bark, so that's not really a problem.

BTW, I ordered aluminium tags with a copper wire, thinking I would be able to "engrave" them, but the tag is too thick, so I just wrote the names on them with a permanent felt pen - not so permanent. I will try "Posca" pens now to see if they last longer.

The good point is that the wire is copper, not iron, so if the bark eats it, it won't get sick because of the rust but on the contrary be protected against diseases : my father would put a copper wire though the base of his tomato plants, an old trick from old gardeners.
    I use Bordeaux mix, simpler and more efficient I think...

Acerholic likes this.