Addicted?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Alexis F, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Going green seem's to be another 'buzz' plant here in the UK this year noticed a few last year at certain garden centres, now again this year but more prominent. Numerous ones at the Harrogate flower show for sale 3.5ltr pots at £15 and again at my local Morrisons store today small 1ltr pots at £3.oo and around 25/30cm in height.

2. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

[QUOTE="ROEBUK and again at my local Morrisons store today small 1ltr pots at £3.oo and around 25/30cm in height.[/QUOTE]

Guess who's hotfooting it to Morrisons tomorrow!

3. ROEBUK

Guess who's hotfooting it to Morrisons tomorrow![/QUOTE]

If they have none at your local store just ask them to do a Store transfer request and they will be able to get them for you ,they had five at my local store today so again they must be popular.

4. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

If they have none at your local store just ask them to do a Store transfer request and they will be able to get them for you ,they had five at my local store today so again they must be popular.[/QUOTE]

This is the best! Thank you so much.

5. ChrisProbert

ChrisProbert Active Member

Excellent! I have commissioned my Personal UK Plant Buyer to visit Morrisons tomorrow morning!

Alexis F likes this.
  6. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

I do hope it won't be the West Kirby branch on the Wirral....it could get ugly!

7. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

There were 5 in stock....I bought them...sigh...

8. ChrisProbert

You bought all five? That's not collecting, that's plant rescue! Presumably you'll selectively re-home them to trustworthy owners.......

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

At 3£ a pop, I might have gone home with 5 too. :)

Hey Chris, I've got maples if you (or son) want them. Send me a PM if so.

10. ROEBUK

OK now you have done Morrison's lets go up market next and see if you can get hold of an Aoyagi from M&S, pic of mine today which i bought last year from the 'Owlcote' centre in Leeds purely by chance couldn't believe they had this in there, had to double take when i walked past it on the way out.

Five going greens wow that's keen, if you like greens you must get Hogyoku !!!!

Attached Files:

11. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

Five going greens wow that's keen, if you like greens you must get Hogyoku !!!![/QUOTE]

Please I beg of you...no more. I've never heard of a Hogyoku, but now I have and now I know where it's all going to lead.
    My Aoyagi arrived in the post today. Truly beautiful. Not quite at your lovely specimen's stage but he'll get there.
    Acers are the crack cocaine of the plant world.

12. intel

intel Member

Like you Alexis, I am hooked as well and the Purple Ghost looks stunning :)

I checked with hippopottering nurseries (for Purple Ghost) and they don't have any more
    in stock...but will keep looking

13. ChrisProbert

Well, Morrisons in Bodmin didn't have A.palmatum 'Going Green', but it is definitely on my wanted list now.
    Seeing mention of Hippopottering Nurseries, I love the A.palmatum 'Kaba' that came from them originally, and it is doing really well in my garden here in France.

14. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

15. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

16. ChrisProbert

The honcho at Morrisons told my son that the Acers that come in are a random mixture, and that specific varieties can't be ordered. They seem to be getting little but the tedious 'Orange Dream' apparently. However, I have found a couple of suppliers on Ebay who would send to a UK address - the complication is that there is rarely anyone there to receive parcels as said son & heir is out primping the gardens of the prosperous. But we are working on it!

17. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

[QUOTE="ChrisProbert

I order nearly all mine from ebay. They don't need to be signed for, so I just leave a note on the door saying if there is no answer, then to leave by bins, round the back or with a neighbour.
    Works brilliantly for me. Even if they end up back at the P.O you can pick them up the following day (they open the collection centre at 7am)
    Or if you like I will shoot to Morrisons this week, if they have replenished the stocks that I bought , I will purchase one and send it to you. No problem is too insurmountable for the 'Fletch!

18. ChrisProbert

I love the generosity and enthusiasm of this community! Thank you for that offer Alexis - I'm going to a UK-linked garden centre today and will have a look at what they are offering, and yes- a delivery to my son may yet be feasible. It's probably not a good time of year to post Maples to France - vulnerable new growth and a slow-ish postal service.

And thank you Emery for the offer of trees as well - I'm still promising myself to come and see you, but at the moment I still seem to be unpaid stand-in Vicar of much of Normandy, so 'retirement' is only relative! But I live in hope....

19. intel

intel Member

Chris
    Our local Morrisions are selling them as well, my wife managed to get hold of a Going Green Acer this morning and the lady said they have more coming in tomorrow if you want one?

20. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Forgive my ignorance but I've seen a few of these about,what is the main feature of this cultivar as I couldn't see anything obvious on the one's I've seen?

21. ChrisProbert

Ebay will supply! Thank you, and Alexis, for your kind offers...

22. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

You're most welcome Chris.
    Perhaps is not the best time to mention that Homebase are selling JM's for £2.97...yes, I know, is that an actual price of anything!
    I bought a 'Taylor' and a Katsura. They also had Phoenix, Emerald Lace, Atrop and Jerre Schwartz.
    I've turned in to the foliage version of mad woman with cats.

23. ChrisProbert

How big is your garden, for heaven's sake, Alexis?! Mind you, I've got all of those apart from 'Taylor' which died (apparently a common problem.....).

24. Alexis F

Alexis F New Member

25. ChrisProbert

My OH, a sci-fi enthusiast as well as a gardener, has recently joined the Space Police! Think not so much intergalactic crime prevention, more 'it's very nice, but exactly do you plan to put it?'