ID??

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, May 1, 2016.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I received this tree from Diana (Topiary Gardens) labeled as Kuro hime - which it definitely is not. I was supposed to get Kurenai jishi - and I know she keeps her trees together alphabetically in the cold frames - so I was wondering if maybe this is what it was, but the coloring doesn't look quite right for that one either. Someone suggested Taro yama, which I already have, and while the leaves are similar, again, it doesn't quite seem to match up. Tonight, I was also told it could be Ryuzu, and the coloring does look closer to that...

For those good at these things - which I am not - care to chime in on what you think it is? I hope to get a better close-up tomorrow of the leaves. As I know sun exposure can drastically affect color, it is currently getting full sun from 5:30am to about noon, maybe a bit later, then complete shade (sun goes behind the house).

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I would give it more time to acclimate to the sun and life outside a dark box. The leaves will change as they open more and get more sun, then it will be easier to get a more accurate id.

Here is more telling information on this variety:
    Flora Wonder Blog: Hard at Work?

Acer.palmatum.Kurenai+jishi.2.jpg
    Acer palmatum 'Kurenai jishi'

Acer.palmatum.O+jishi.1.jpg Acer.palmatum.O+jishi.3.jpg
    Acer palmatum 'O jishi'

"Acer palmatum 'Kurenai jishi', a Masayoshi Yano (author ofBook For Maples) selection. The cultivar name means "black lion," as the leaf is somewhat like 'O jishi' ("male lion" in Japanese). Kurenai is "black" in Japanese and the foliage is indeed very dark, while new growth is a lighter brown-red, as you can see in the photo above. Yano-san is a wonderful man, and it was a real treat to hang out with him nine years ago in Japan, and then to host him in Oregon for a few days. Even though his lips curve downward (like a sad-face ) when he smiles, he was clearly very proud when he posed with his 'Kurenai jishi'.

Acer.palmatum.Kurenai+jishi.4.jpg
    Masayoshi Yano with Acer palmatum 'Kurenai jishi'
    Acer.palmatum.Kurenai+jishi.3.jpg
    Yano-san's wife passed away some years ago, and he remarried, but not to a woman, instead to maples. It all started by purchasing one tree at a garden plant sale, and soon thereafter his collection grew to nearly a thousand, and the great majority of them were in pots placed on stadium-style benches. The pots varied as well, as if he was matching pot color and shape for each individual tree. Everything was watered by hand in spring and summer, a process which took three hours every morning, and it was truly a labor of love. But after visiting the Flora Wonder Arboretum, he declared that he finally knew what he needed to do with his collection. He moved to property outside of Nara, Japan, for the Japanese government was surprisingly willing to develop a Japanese maple park. When you consider that at least half of anygovernment's money is frittered away anyway, to spend a little on a maple park is most worthwhile. I just wish that someone could convince Emperor Obama to bail me out with a maple park."

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. maplesandpaws

Hi JT, I've had the tree for nearly a month now (it was bare when I received it), so being in a box recently isn't a factor this time around. :) These are the true colors of the tree.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I added more to my original post as you were responding. Okay, the box is not a factor. Sun could be and I still stand by the fact its still too soon for an id, my advice is to give it more time for the leaves to mature and post some updated photos.

5. maplesandpaws

Thanks JT! I will continue to keep an eye on it. I, too, wish someone would give me money and land for a maple park, that would be fantastic!! lol

6. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

It's not Goshiki kotohime, is it? Or Kotohime...

7. maplesandpaws

Pretty sure not. It's not variegated, and based on the pictures I found of Kotohime, the leaves don't have the curl/twist in them like the ones on my tree. But, thanks for the suggestions!

8. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea, Thought I would post photos of my little Ryuzu as it came into leaf and where it is now in case you might recognize some of the characteristics in your little plant.
    Ryuzu April 16.jpg Ryuzu May 16.jpg Ryuzu closeup 5-16jpg.jpg

My plant is in quite a bit of sun for most of the day. I have had it for 2 years or so--planted it from a little 4 in. pot that our nearby nursery got from Buchholz. It is about 12-14" tall--not growing very fast, but seems happy.