Identification: Wisteria growth, flower of leaf buds?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ROEBUK, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi wondering if anyone could tell me are these buds on my Wisteria floribunda flower buds or just leaf buds. Never had a wisteria before and it's only just been bought and planted out this year , so reading on the general info about wisterias i would have thought that these are only leaf buds as i believe it takes quite a few seasons and lots of pruning before you reach the flower stage? But when i look close up at the buds they do have a strong bluish hue to them.The vine is just covered with them at present as you can see from the pics.

Hope someone will be able to enlighten more on this subject. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. vlastovka

vlastovka Member

Roebuk you definitely have FLOWERS; you are lucky.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  3. ROEBUK

vlastovka...Thank you for letting me know that these are flower buds!!!! wow i wasn't expecting that, only bought it from a garden centre on the 5th of this month then planted it straight out then the buds just started growing larger and larger.

Will post some pics when the flowers open? but we have terrible cold frosty snowy weather in the UK at present but hopefully they will surrive.

4. vlastovka

vlastovka Member

Hope your wisteria brings you many springs of joy ROEBUK; they are survivors.

5. ROEBUK

Pictures of my Wisteria today, over the moon that it flowered hope it continues for many years to come. Very suprised it flowered on it's first attempt for me , think i bought the right plant at the right time!!
    According to everything i read i wasn't expecting any flowers for at least two or three years, beginners luck one might say ?

Attached Files: