peony tree strange growth from bottom

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sylgardener, Apr 16, 2016.

1. sylgardener

sylgardener Member

I have been living in this lovely rental house and my favorite plant of all is a peony tree in my front yard. It usually produces 4 - 5 flowers each year but this year it only had three buds and one is from the base. Two of the buds have opened (including one at base) and there is a third, much smaller preparing to open. The flower growing from the base is lovely and big, however it's leaves are different from the other ones on the rest of the plant.
    I have lived here for 10 years and it appeared to be an old plant when I moved in.
    Can you advise me of whether or not I have a problem on my hands? If so what should I do?
    I have included pictures of the tree.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

If the flower is the same and only the foliage is different on the stalk from the base , maybe just leave it for now and see what happens.
    If both the flower and the foliage were different , it would likely indicate sprouting from an herbaceous root stalk. Tree peonies are often grafted on to a herbaceous nurse root which can send up a herbaceous stalk years later and should be removed.
    For some, the flower form can change as a plant matures, like a single can change to a semi-double or double flowered form over the years. Some can have single, semi-double, and/or double flowered forms on the same tree peony. I don't know if foliage changes much though.
    They don't seem to like much root competition.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. sylgardener

sylgardener Member

Thanks Chimera,
    The flower is the same, so I will take your advice and leave it for now. I have also read mixed opinions on whether or not you prune off the dead branches. I feel that sometimes it looks as if a part of the tree is dead wood but then a new piece grows off of the dead looking branch the following year. Do you prune your peony tree?

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, have been pruning cautiously. The deadwood is easily removed in February, cutting the branch back to about an inch (2.5 cm.) above a live bud. The remaining stub can be removed next year. I haven't thinned out any live stalks yet.
    A couple videos, by KelwaysPlants and Cricket Hill Garden, may help.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016