Seeds for SEDUM "Automn Joy" and ornamental grasses?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vicarious1, Mar 27, 2016.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hi I bought this plant last year and it was quite pretty but frankly at 14.99 a pot really who can afford borders all along?
    I left it in the pot outdoors all winter and now it is shooting at the bottom again.
    I want to know the dried flowers do they contain seeds now in spring or are they just dry wilted blooms?
    Can I just sprinkle. rub them into the side of a path or do I need to burry them in the soil?
    Will they grow again and make multiple plants?
    I have lines of day lilies but after July they are gone
    so I thought would be nice to have something else to replace with colour in automn
    I also collected a lot of the feathery seeds of several of our ornamental grasses
    especially the ones with white lines that grows up to +2m
    Can I plant them now how and how deep or do I start them in containers
    I read that grass seeds like to lie nearly on top of the soil ...
    Thank you very much
    Happy Easter

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Re. the Sedum:

I propagate mine by cuttings. From my experience it can be done any time during the growing season, as long as the cutting has enough time to root before winter. Just wait a couple of weeks for the soil to warm up and dry up a little more, to make rooting easier.

The cutting should not be long, about 15 cm. Remove the leaves from the bottom part and stick the cutting into the soil. That's all. No special care necessary.
    If you are shy to do it all at once, just plant a couple of cuttings only to see how it works for you. If they are doing well after a few weeks you can plant more.

If you are prudent, or need more plants, you could also try to root the removed leaves. This I would do in a more controlled environment, in pots inside. Just put the leaf on the surface, with its short petiole slightly pressed into the soil. Don't let the soil dry up but be careful not to over water, either.

3. vicarious1

Thank you so I guess I will search for one plant in the shops with MANY branches and then subdivide and yes I can do the leaves thing in our green house..
    Thank you.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Another advice: don't keep your plant in a pot. Autumn Joy, to grow strong and fast, needs a lot of room for its roots.
    The flowers last long and are well liked by bees and other insects, so they are good for the planet's diminishing biodiversity.

5. vicarious1

YES THANKS..I actually want to make a whole border alons the sidewalk
    it goes per season
    1 come the daylillies
    Behing then is Zebra grass throughout the season and U wantes anther flower tht bushels up FAST I have 57feet stree frontage and my garden is a waisthight for passers by
    so Iike them to enjoy..I also but several groups of (forgot name) big dark purple leaves bright yellow custers of star./margerite kind of blooms in late automn