Question about planting new maples in the spring

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Hi all,

Just curious how you go about planting a newly acquired tree that has already started to leaf out. I just received a beautiful Emmett's Pumpkin that was very root-bound in its one-gallon container. Even though I've always read that you shouldn't disturb the roots at this time of the year, I couldn't help it--- like any plant that's terribly root-bound, I used my fingers to pry the roots loose before transplanting it. Was this a big mistake?

Thanks for the advice!

Kevin in KC

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I would have done, and have done, the same. But I'm no expert. Curious to read what others will say--

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Kevin, I have often planted maples after they have leafed out and have always untangled and pruned the roots if they are pot bound with circling roots. I have never had any problems. The maple may not put on much growth the first year but at least there will be no later problems with the roots.
    You can always thin the top growth if you have to substantially remove root mass.

John

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You had no choice, because if you had planted it without breaking up the root mass, it would have been encircled later and been at the very least stunted. or eventually died.

I'd have babied it in a pot for this year, but I almost never plant out directly without getting the maples used to my environment.

-E

5. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Emery,
    I did plant it into a pot :-)

John,
    Thanks for the reassurance. I suppose I'll wait till the fall or late winter next year to do any root pruning, if necessary. He's now in a 3 gal. container so should be happy for this season.

I have one other coming later this week, a 2-gal. Kuraba yama. Does anyone have any experience growing this one?

Kevin in KC