Unusual Sun/Shade situation

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janepots, Mar 11, 2016.

1. janepots

janepots Active Member

Hi, Last spring we lost a huge sumac that provided so much shade that all of the plants in my south facing garden were shade loving..
    So now we have an area that gets very filtered light until about 10:30 -11:00 until about 2:00, when again it is shaded. The mid day heat ( bouncing off the house ) is intense. I just moved skimmia, solomons seal, 2 hydrangeas and a brunnera as they all suffered sunburn. I have 2 peonies that are okay as well as various small perennials..
    What other shrubs can take this extreme condition...? Would rugosa roses be ok? We are going to put in a buddlea, but would like some shorter shrubs.
    We live in Lantzville, just outside Nanaimo.
    Thanks

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Arbutus unedo and some of the Manzanita should be no trouble in the mid day heat. I have a full on cacti / succulent garden that loves that heat.
    I'm in Lantzville too ... perhaps you've driven by or even visited my garden.
    You can't miss it ... palm trees line the road in Upper Lantzville.

Cheers, Barrie

3. janepots

janepots Active Member

Even when they rest of the day they get almost no direct sun?
    We have a strawberry arbutus in the back yard.. it is spectacular but way too big for the spot.. Where can you buy manzanita?.. we tried transplanting some from the top of the Foothills (not Foothills then ;) ) and not much lick. Our soil has been worked but it is basically clay.
    I will be looking for your place.. Southwind?
    We are the glass artist and potter that have the Phoenix Gallery just on the other side of the pedestrian walkway over the highway
    Cheers

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Manzanita is root sensitive much like Madrone (A. menziesii). Few nurseries seem to have Manzanita and with the clay soil you discribe, probably would not be suitable. Rocky free draining soil is a requiment for Manzanita.

We're closer to Nanaimo (Ronald Rd.) ... about 5 minutes away. Cheers.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a garden near the salt air sea on the other side of Georgia Strait (I can see Lantzville lights at night) ---- we get blazing morning sun from east - then one side of my rectangular property gets dark shade --- the other side facing south gets hot intense mid-to early afternoon sun

here's what does well once established - and takes little water and maintenance. The water - as you know from summer 2015 - is an important consideration.

this list is what I have ---- I have a very eclectic design - I really like green native gardens ---- however, then I get a flower color (usually in the pink-purple-blue-burgundy range - no yellow or orange tho I like those colors) in my head and go for it. So pick and choose from below once you figure out your "look" (flower or green shrub native - or big flower shrub or meadow etc.

also - we have lots of birds in our garden - and some bears, racoons, rats, and other wildlife (no deer - touch wood) - so we are careful about poisons in our yard - and also - we like to encourage the birds including lots of hummers, summer and winter.

I suggest you look around in your town at the professional plantings - some are - I agree - likely awful and mis-informed. However, some of the newer ones are professionally specified and can offer great clues as to what does well with little water / maintenance - AND - with certain sunlight/exposure - AND - what the mature 10 yrs old plant will look like.

california poppies - Mission Bells

Lupin - various

Victoria Lilac Victoria California Lilac - Monrovia - Victoria California Lilac

Rose of Sharon - Hibiscus syriacus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Aphrodite Rose Of Sharon - Monrovia - Aphrodite Rose Of Sharon

weigela -

vine maple (native) - once established can take some drought / heat

I like your rugosa idea. There are the roses as well that are "low maintenance" - Flower Carpet /// Mediland (spell?) ----- tho I am mixed about those. I have some flower carpet and some mediland. I started out with great ambitions and now could probably dig and give away. too many thorns for my maintenance skills (and garden clothing wardrobe!)

sword fern (native) can take some of our hot summer sun once established

oregon grape (native) (it is avail tall or compact)

bearded iris - look for the new ones that bloom longer

salal (native)

plain old purple asters

lily bulbs - Stargazers and many others either in pots that you place in your garden - or in the ground.

bergenia

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. janepots

janepots Active Member

Thanks for that. We are leaning towards a rise of sharon and hibiscus or one of the shorter bush type buddleas..they wont sell the big ones anymore as they apparently are invasive..not in my experience, but the new bush ones have a long bloom time so thats a plus. The shady side of the sane garden is great..japanese maples a dogwood and huge golden locust so we arent in the starting from scratch place..if we were we'd definitley be doing an all native garden. We transplanted a native sasktoon from a too shady spot in the back of the house to the front and are waiting to see if it makes it..happy gardening.

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    yes, I started with someone elses outdated garden too ---- I now wish I'd had the mini excavator here to do septic work take out the part I thought I should "save" ----- what a pain. Big lilacs that fade in a day, etc. so maybe this is an opportunity for you - go for it if that's your dream garden -

re: your saskatoon - hopefully it "takes" (side note - I wonder if what you have is a snowberry E-Flora BC Atlas Page as it is very common along old farm fences etc on Eastern Vanc Island)

what about some native "Ocean Spray" - that seems to do well near the sea / Eastern Vanc Island The Wild Garden: Hansen's Northwest Native Plant Database

and some native honeysuckle vine? shady forest roots, sunny tops

huckleberry - shady forested roots - sunny tops? (the one with red berry)

Buddleia ---- oh it self-seeds for sure. careful.

maybe one day you can post some photos for us curious coast gardeners who have plenty of water right now - but not in a few months!

8. janepots

janepots Active Member

Oh it is defintely a wild saskatoon.. dug it up beside Enos Lake. So odd about the buddleia as we had it for several years before we had to have a backhoe in for drainage issues and never had one baby from it..
    Cheers, Jane