Acer palmatum 'Japanese Princess'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, Mar 23, 2006.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

This is a new one to me, it looks similar to 'Mikawa yatsubusa', but is noticeably diffrent. Photos taken Mar 22 2006.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Also looks similar to Seiun kaku, but clearly smaller and much more compact. Any idea of the age?

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo was taken July 11, 2007. I am hoping the dissimilarity between this photo and the prior post is due to the young age of my cultivar.

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

There are times I feel this cultivar is related to Mikawa Yatsubusa, one of my favorites. My 'Japanese Princess' has proven to be a hearty grower, and I especially like the reddish-pink new growth in the springtime.
    mapledia

Attached Files:

5. seventrees

seventrees Active Member

Nice looking plant. Anyone know where it can be purchased by mail order?

seventrees

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I like the looks of this tree, if only it grew faster

Attached Files:

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Anyone know where I can find this cultivar? It's proving to be rather elusive...

8. amazingmaples

Most of us will only see the tree in photos. Maybe in a few years there might be some twigs of it for sale but its growth rate seems does not look like it will produce a good crop. Then again, I am sure the one who owns the original tree would love to reap the rewards of such a pretty maple.

9. amazingmaples

Here is a new addition to my garden. It is about 10" tall.

It is wonderful but small

Attached Files:

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  10. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Best photos again Charlie. The first photo of a gallon Japanese Princess looks just like mine - pink in the spring fading to whitish green.

11. amazingmaples

All the japanese Princess i have bought have been planted in rocks. This year i did get a few of them. They do not grow much but they sem to be stable and do not die like some of the other minatures.

12. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Is the OP still active here? (yweride) I would love to see the tree that he posted in 2006 this year. It would be over 10 years old at this point.

13. Maple_Lady

Yes, Yweride, do you still have this cutie from 2006? And Charlie, do you have any larger specimens? I need a good photo for my website - can you share. All my Japanese Princess maples are in 1 gallons and yes, they grow pretty slow.

14. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Sam, I have a couple of your trees getting ready to bloom in my landscape. My Beni Hoshi and Amber Ghost both came from you. They are very nice trees and I can't wait to see them bloom.

15. Maple_Lady

bub72ck - Great! Good to hear new growth is near - lol. Post some pics. Really, I like to check in on my babies and make sure they made it through the winter. Of course we haven't had much of a winter, more like a long spring. At least this winter we are getting good rain and snow pack.

16. Shami

Shami New Member

Hello, I am in Europe and Japanese Princess is not available yet. I think it is due to the long time to propagate. Would anyone be willing to send me a cutting? I believe there is no issue with this as it is possible to take cuttings through an airport. Only rooted plants are not allowed. I also do not wish to get anything for free or without licence fee. I would be happy to pay the standard price for this plant.

17. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

18. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I know a lot of people on this side of the pond have this on their bucket list to buy, but have a look at Mayday online. I think this one will also be on wish lists as well, it is on mine.

19. Maple_Lady

There seems to be a proliferation of Mikawa offspring. From Japanese Princess and Mayday [both from Talon Buchholz] to Mystic Mikawa [from Crispin Silva] and now the best has come "Yuki yama" Snow Mountain. After Mystic Mik Mystic Mikawa 1.jpg Mayday spring from Garen Rees.JPG

Attached Files:

Shin-Deshojo, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good evening Maple_Lady, you have teased us all into being very envious of the amazing growers you have in the US producing stunning cultivars. Two more on my to buy list. One day!!!
    Wonderful trees and photos. Really enjoyed them. Thankyou for posting.

21. Maple_Lady

I have been growing Japanese Maples for 35+ years. One half of my lifetime and I am trying to retire from selling and shipping my maples all over the US. However, from one maple-holic to another - it ain't that easy. When Yuki yama came along I knew I had to have this one. I have 13 little babies in 1 gallon size containers that I am nursing. They already have buds beginning to break as we have had a very mild winter until now. I know it will take years before they are big enough to sell, but I just can't seem to walk away from my passion.

Today however Mother Nature has decided to hit us with a storm that may drop up to 12 inches of snow, with ice and freezing rain in the mix. I have 3 poly-covered unheated greenhouses with about 1400 maples inside. I worry that 12" of snow could collapse them. We had 8" of snow and ice back in 2006 and I had one greenhouse cave in. The poly didn't break even though it was 20 years old. The weight of the snow/ice pulled in both side walls with 6x6" posts set in 2 bags of concrete each. The purlins bent down to the gravel and I lost 1000 maples that year. So I am going to go out today to do what I can to protect my babies. It will be tough going the next three days and if we lose power I lose the circulation fans that run 24 x 7 to keep the inside of the greenhouses a few degrees warmer than the outside. I pray for the best and plan for the worst.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  22. Acerholic

@Maple_Lady, I just cannot imagine losing 1000 maples. I go into a depression if I lose one during the Winter. You get so attached to them and they become part of you.
    35 +years of growing in a big way is very hard to turn your back on, but perhaps now it's time to just have a collection just for you and not have the stress of growing to sell on, although I agree it is so much fun to see a new cultivar taking shape and the more you have takes away the chance of not being left with none if the worse happens. Strength in numbers !!!
    You have really got my interest in Yuki yama, looking at your photo it is a must have for holics like us as you say.
    My thoughts are very much with you from this side of the pond over the next few days. But you seem to be planning for the worst so I really hope all goes well and it turns out OK.

23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My young 'Japanese Princess'
    20210405_184019.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

25. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Cold weather damage (30*) freeze damage on my father's Japanese Princess.

We purchased these in January/February from a local nursery and they got confused because of the green houses and leafed out too early.... :(

Attached Files: