Ginseng Ficus miniature bonsai...frozen!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Emmaji, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

I left my bonsai out all winter and in this latest freeze, all the leaves turned brown and fell off. Is it dead?

2. T311

T311 Member

How did it turn out? I did the same thing with my Ginseng ficus once.. It came back and had the coolest pattern on its trunk/roots

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Every Ficus spp. I've ever grown has been able to bounce back from something that looked like death. The only thing to do is shelter it from the cold and wind, keep the surroundings humid, and see if it starts to show buds. If the bark is loose and papery, down to the soil surface, it's probably a nonstarter, though. Any bonsai needs frequent attention, and if you allowed it to freeze, I'd guess it wasn't in optimal condition already. Still worth the attempt.

4. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

Thanks for the replies! I brought the plant indoors but I didn't water it for quite a while because it was drenched already. So far, no buds, but it still looks handsome as a gnarly tree, so I might just put it back in the garden when it gets warmer as a decoration......I wish I had watered it more when it dried out indoors. That'll teach me to take more care!

5. T311

T311 Member

Keep us posted on the recovery : )

6. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

will do!