Help with ID for four new old leaves

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dbookbinder, Jan 9, 2016.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Continuing my "wabi-sabi" project of finding beauty in aging and decay. Attached are four leaves I'd appreciate help identifying. Second from the left is obviously some kind of ginkgo, next two are, I think, some kind of popular, no idea about the first one. I'm very new at this!

Thanks,
    David
    141107-133916_DMC-ZS25_01a_black_800x600.jpg 141218-133536_DMC-ZS25_01a_800_l.jpg 150918-100115_DMC-ZS25_01b_black_600_s.jpg 151219-163539_DMC-LX7_01a_black_600x600.jpg

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, # 2 is Ginkgo biloba

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

1. Tilia americana
    2. Ginkgo biloba
    3. Populus heterophylla or P. deltoidea
    4. Populus deltoidea

4. dbookbinder

Thank you! Can you (or anyone else) recommend a website or field guide that would help me identify these leaves myself? Identifying flowers was, ultimately, too daunting to me, but I am hoping leaves will be a easier task.

David

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ha-ha, ha-ha ...
    I stopped laughing long enough to say that you can check out some apps - see our Resources page Apps for Mobile Devices.
    A lot of the online keys (see this thread: Search for IDs by characteristics) seem to focus on flowers, but there's an app that was recommended (by the developer, I think) called Leafsnap. It's got a promising name anyway.

It's been mentioned several times on the forums that leaves aren't necessarily enough to go by for an ID. Different plants can have similar flowers, and different plants can have similar leaves. The more different parts you have, the better chance of the ID being correct. That you're getting IDs from your single leaf postings is a testament to the extraordinary knowledge and experience of the people replying to your postings.
    Well, I could have done the Ginkgo - that's pretty unique.

6. dbookbinder

Yes, I know this would be a much easier task if I had known which tree the leaf was from, but I am working with leaves I've found on the ground and, when I began taking these photographs, didn't know I was going to be looking for identification. I'm glad that people here are so knowledgeable and helpful!