A few lichen images

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Kildale, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kildale

Kildale Active Member

I have about 60 lichens images taken around Victoria that may be useful to others to ID stuff. Click Lichen Images

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Lovely pics. I'm mostly familiar with Usnea spp. and Cladonia spp. for some utility. I'll have to train my eye to discern more differences in the lichens I see here.

Wonderful common names along with the genus and species! Flaky freckle pelt, indeed.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Agree with than!

'Questionable Rock-frog' and 'Netted Specklebelly' are good too.
    'Flaky Freckle Pelt' is an excellent tongue-twister!

Thanks, Kildale! Well done. Lichens are easily disregarded but repay attention---most interesting in their fascinating variety.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you Kildale, that is a lovely collection of photos of local lichens,
    ... and not common to see a set of lichen photos with IDs on them :-), that is great - good resource!

cheers
    -frog

5. Kildale

Kildale Active Member

Thank you for the posts. Always looking out for new species. Had the driest summer on record so not much in the woods.

6. Richard Droker

Richard Droker New Member

Don't know if Dereila Nature Inn, which seems to be a business for selling nature related items, is currently active. At least 30% of the lichen images said to be taken around Victoria are incorrectly identified. Some of the identifications are quite unusual, e.g. Sphaerophorus globosus as Cryptothecia rubrocincta (a subtropical lichen), and Thamnolia vermicularis as Contraverba blanca (the latest use of this name I could find is from 1919) .

7. Kildale

Kildale Active Member

It is only a Nature site, we sell nothing. You cannot have looked at the site at all or you would of known that there is nothing for sale. I think your note is strange when the lichens you mention are correct. Let us know what the other 20 wrongly named ones are. Experts have named everything on the site. Are you supposed to be an expert?

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, Richard is an expert. The Contraverba blanca name is a bit of a puzzler, I have to admit. What resource did that name come from?

9. Richard Droker

Only made a cursory look at the site as I was mostly curious about the lichens. My remark regarding business is probably overstated, but I did come across The Dereila Nature Inn Book Store - Birding Books Its difficult to identify lichens from small images, but here's a quick run-down:

1st row 1st photo - Platismatia herrei should be P. glauca
    2nd row 4th photo - Palmotremas sp should be Parmotrema sp (either P. arnoldii or P. perlatum
    2nd row 5th photo - Platismatia stenophylla should be Hypogymnia sp.
    3rd row 1st photo - Hypogymnia physodes - probably upper right is that while lower left center is a different Hypogymnia
    3rd row 4th photo - hard to tell but doesn’t look like Parmotrema arnoldii
    3rd row 5th photo - Platismatia stenophylla should be Hypogymnia sp
    5th row 1st photo - Vulpicida canadensis possible but more likely V. pinastri
    5th row 2nd photo - Cetraria orsta should be C. orbata or Tuckermanopsis orbata (change not accepted by all)
    5th row 3rd photo - correct identification, name recently changed to Lobaria anomala
    6th row 3rd photo - same as 3rd row 4th photo
    7th row 1st photo - correct identification (although misspelled), name recently changed to Lobaria anthraspis
    8th row 2nd photo - correct identification but name changed to L. palmatum and then to Scytinium palmatum
    10th row 5th photo - Menegazia terebrata should be Hypogymnia sp.
    11th row 1st photo - Ochrolechia upsaliensis almost certainly different Ochrolechia such as O. subpallescens
    11th row 3rd photo - Rhizocarpon geographicum should be “yellow” Rhizocarpon sp. (requires microscopic examination)
    12th row 2nd photo - Ochrolechia pallescens should be O. subpallescens, or more likely O. laevigata
    13th row 1st and 2nd photos - Letheria (misspelled Letharia) vulpina should be Evernia prunastri
    14th row 1st photo - Cryptothecia rubrocincta (a subtropical lichen) should be Sphaerophorus globosus
    15th row 3rd photo - Contraverba blanca should be Thamnolia vermicularis

Mekira likes this.
  10. Richard Droker

Sorry for neglecting to answer regarding C. blanca. A search lead to a link for Alpine Fell-Fields of Eastern North America John W. Harshberger Geographical Review Vol. 7, No. 4 (Apr., 1919), pp. 233-255 which apparently contains this - "4-The worm lichen (contraverba blanca), Thamnolia vermicularis, growing." Looked a bit more without finding anything. Synonyms I found are Cenomyce vericularis, Cerania vermicularis, Lichen vermicularis.

Probably more than anyone wants to know - the UV+ species (or chemotype) T. subuliformis is more wide ranging. Interesting - "The extent of range of the Thamnolia species as bipolar and in such widely disjunct spots as New Guinea, New Zealand, Australia, and the Andes of South America is difficult to account for in the light of the apparent lack of easily dispersed diaspores. The comment of Sato (1965) that it occurs only on nonvolcanic mountains and dead volcanoes, never on resting or active volcanoes, suggests that dispersal is of great antiquity and not currently occurring."

11. Kildale

Kildale Active Member

Hi Richard. I appreciate your time and the corrections to the lichens. My first note was not very polite as you did upset me a little by commenting that I was trying to make money. We are trying to delete all the adverts except Amazons which is our only source of income and from that we don't really get any thing. The Dereila Nature Inn Book Store is Amazon, we just show a few books. We will correct the names. I rely on the people that I go out in the field with to name the subjects correctly. May take a little time as my son is the web master and he will have to do the corrections, he is in Calgary.

Mekira and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  12. Richard Droker

Thanks Kildale. I'm an old guy and have never felt that I knew how to interact on line. Should have looked at your site more carefully. I would like to be helpful and not harmful.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  13. Kildale

Kildale Active Member

Thank you Richard. I sent your notes to the guy that named the lichens for me, you may of seen my thanks to him on the page, he said go ahead and make the changes. Not sure when it will get done, but I have sent your note to my son.

14. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Mekira and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  15. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you Richard Droker for discovering the need for corrections and for kindly providing specific info and thank you Kildale for looking into these naming challenges and for following up on the information.
    The work and contributions of you both are much appreciated!

cheers,
    frog