Tilia wanted!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by WesternWilson, Nov 17, 2015.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Beekeeper seeks Tilia seeds and baby Tilia trees (Basswood, Linden) for enriching local pollinator forage! Are there any Lower Mainland/Island sources?

Regards,
    Janet

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lindens are often very hard to germinate and narcotic to bees.

3. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I will be more specific then, Tilia cordata wanted.

Very few Tilia are a problem:

"Lime constitutes my main flow- I have over 100 lime trees within a mile radius of my hives. The poisonous limes are tilia oliveri;t.euchora;t.tomentosa;and t.dasystila, though I believe(without being certain) that their toxicity applies to other bees rather than honeybees. Anyway, there are 2 varieties that are worth planting from a melliferous point of view: tilia platyphyllos and tilia cordata (the large-leaved lime and the small-leaved lime to give them their good old English names.
    The flowering period is short, and nectar production fickle-the right conditions are necessary i.e. heat, dryness in the air, and wetness at the roots. But when they give, the resulting honey (which is often a mix of honey & honeydew) is excellent and crystallises very slowly with smallish crystals. Anyway, in the bad years you still have the flowers that you can dry to make a very pleasant *tea*.
    Hope that helps."