JM Collection Preservation

Discussion in 'Maples' started by CEFreeman, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CEFreeman

CEFreeman New Member

Hello all! My first post. :)

I'm in Bowie, MD, which is between Washington, DC and Annapolis, MD.
    I have a large, named variety Japanese maple collection, probably 40 in pots right now, and as many or more going in the ground. These are probably too big to bonsai at the moment.

I am concerned that when I die, my home will be sold to someone who won't know or appreciate the work and love gone into these beauties. I've planted over 150 tress (so far) of varying types (mostly something red) in the 14 years I've been here. God forbid a new owner goes in and clears the yard.
    I'm only 57, but if anything were to happen to me, I'd want these trees and plants taken by someone or some organization who will care for them.

This might be an odd request, but I was hoping someone might direct me to someone or group, maybe local, to whom I could bequeath my collection? I have no idea how to go about this, but stranger directives have been legally drawn up!
    Any ideas or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time!
    (Then we can talk about the 27 varieties of red crape myrtles I have....)

2. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am not sure if this information will help but I have been looking into the same thing for a few years. There are a few different options with plant collections. One being a donation to an arboretum and another is a donation to another type of public garden.

I have discussed with friends that work in the professional horticulture field in arboretums and below are some things to consider.

In most instances arboretums and public gardens do not have a budget to dig and transport trees. It is a costly endeavor that limits your target audience. If you are willing to have the trees dug and delivered to the destination yourself as part of the donation it may be easier to find a home for your plants.

Arboretums typically need to know the origin of the plants. Good record keeping on a plant collection is essential. This should include not just the source of the purchase of the tree but also the source of the grower if possible. The plants should be clearly marked with an identifying label like a hang tag or another method of identification.

I suggest that you visit local public gardens and arboretums and talk to the people that work there. This will give you a good idea of the interest in your area. You need to decide if you want a home for all of your collection in one location or if you are willing to donate part of your collection.

If you are not already a member of the Maple Society, I suggest that you join as you will meet lots of great people that share the same interest and many work in public gardens and arboretums.

Good luck,

Ed

3. CEFreeman

CEFreeman New Member

Thank you, Ed.
    Luckily, I have that information for the majority of my trees. A step in the right direction.
    I also plan to make a tree map of my property this spring. Doesn't hurt for posterity. :)
    I'll take your advice and do some visiting and look at the Maple society.
    I appreciate your input,
    Christine

4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hello Christine,
    I am in Fairfax, VA not too far from you. Yes, I am having the same concern about my collection in the future too although my mind has yet thinking about donate or resell or giving them to the good home yet... but I do agree with you 'life is impermanent' we could give our last breath at any moment :). So if you happen to find out any more info about your concern, please share them with us.

So far I found out only a few JMs enthusiast like us living in the Washington metropolitan area. I did ask Francie (Eastwoods Nursery) last year about what they are going to do with their trees when they retire and move South in the next few years and they still don't have an answer yet.

Best of luck, steven

5. CEFreeman

CEFreeman New Member

I'll ask the same of you. :) So many of mine are in and will remain in pots, it's not like I'm telling someone to come dig 'em up -- although I'd be open to willing that to someone!
    If a pro such as Francie doesn't have any idea, we're going to have a hard time of it.
    Donate to whom?
    I'm a long-time member of GardenWeb's (now Houzz) Mid-Atlantic Gardening board and their Maples board, so I'm thinking of simply putting it into my desktop file (titled 'If you're reading this, I'm dead') to post there for locals. At least I know they'd have a clue!
    Thanks, Steven. Keep me posted, too!