Home, on the main menu bar

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by wcutler, Nov 8, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Does that Home tab on the main menu bar have to go to the UBCBG home page? I kept expecting it to go to the Forums home page, like it did in the old system (I think I remember it being more difficult to get to the garden's home page). If anyone mistakenly clicks on Help, expecting to find help there, and then wants to go back to the forums, it's very visibly suggestive that the Home button will take them there, as it shows that as the parent of Help. But it's not the Help button for the garden, it's for the forums. At least now, there is so little on the garden's page, that the forums link is right at the top, so not too annoying, but certainly surprising the first several times I'd clicked myself out of the forums.

Or else maybe change the word Home to UBCBG Home, or just UBCBG or UBC Botanical Garden.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think Home, both on the top menu bar, bottom page bar, and anywhere else within the forum should refer to the Forum's home page and not that of UBCBG. It's more intuitive for home to be that of the website one is viewing rather than that of an entirely different one. Perhaps Home on the menu bar can be converted to a drop-down menu with UBCBG as an option; clicking on Home itself would still go to the Forum homepage.

As an aside, perhaps About UBC Botanical Garden's Forums in the menu bar should be abbreviated to the more common About in order to remove clutter.

3. Aisya

Aisya Member

UBC Botanical Garden Forums

That would sort it out.

I expect it depends how the admin area is sorted, how it manages a href linking back to forums.

It maybe a safety feature.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I will consider changing that once the new templates are installed, and we see how things sort out.

5. Junglekeeper

After further consideration...

Within a forum listing there's a hierarchy that's displayed above the forum's name. For example, for HortForum it is Home> Forums> General Gardening Question and Answer>. So given this is the natural order, then perhaps it makes sense for Home to be the Garden and for its screen name to be changed to read UBCBG to remove any ambiguity.

However, as Wendy pointed out, the pages for Contact Us and Help do not include Forums in the hierarchy. Perhaps it should be inserted for consistency; this would clarify the meaning of Home and allow for easy navigation back to the main forum page.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The same applies to the rest of the tabs on the main menu bar - they appear to be under what is really Garden Home, whereas they belong to the Forums.

I'm guessing that in the new template, where it says xenForo, that will be the link to Garden Home, and everything else will shift left or do something that makes more sense. We can wait.

7. Junglekeeper

Agreed - no great urgency for this to be fixed. The change, whichever it may be, should make the hierarchies consistent throughout the forum.