Photo display problems

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by emery, Oct 28, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Bite my tongue. In Edge, 3, 5 and 10 not displaying. Here's a screen print of the photo not lining up in the viewer, second time I've seen this.
    viewer lineup.jpg
    I'm just documenting it, not a major issue, just what makes me feel it's a flakey viewer.
    Typed all this, tried again problems are still 3, 5, and 10.

On that Attached Image Test, in Edge, it's really slow. Only five images are loaded, another has just the thinnest stripe at the top.
    Attached image test | UBC Botanical Garden Forums

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Been asked to see what it is like for us.

Desk top HP computer...all pics there and all enlarged without problem.
    Apple lap top....ditto.

I have had trouble on other threads where no pic is there...just image no. . On clicking that... it then appear ..assumed teething probs.

3. AndyX

AndyX New Member

Changes have been made to the server software recently, so members feedback is important. Also view this thread to see if inline images appear properly.

Attached image test | UBC Botanical Garden Forums

Clearing the browser cache is also an important step.

4. wcutler

Since I replied last? I cleared cache again, in this thread, Edge, 4, 5, 7, 8 were not expanding from the viewer; when 4 came up, it had purple and green stripes on half; two minutes ago, before I restarted the browser and cleared cache, it was all purple and green.
    But, in Firefox, for the first time ever, I think, they all just displayed.

In the image test thread, in Edge, for the first several photos, only lots of empty space, then the last photos were ok. In Firefox, about an inch of the first several photos, then full photos. When I went back to the top, still two with thin strips, eight are all there.

I only have to clear cache, not history and cookies and all the stuff I want to keep, right?

5. AndyX

AndyX New Member

Correct, only the cache, uncheck the other options. Also make sure "Everything" is selected.

pic001.jpg

6. wcutler

Firefox, wasn't sure I'd cleared cache, so did it again; this time 1, 5, and 9 were problems, I'm pretty sure.
    I wasn't totally sure which ones, so I went back to look and they all worked.

I'll be back home by 4pm, maybe earlier.

7. wcutler

Yes it was. I don't get that option in Edge, but it said "All clear".

8. wcutler

Chrome, cleared cache from the beginning of time, 2 and 6 were problems in this thread.

I did not see the photo in your reply in posting #30 when I replied to it. I see it now.

In the Attached image test, which I've just gone to look at, it's only got about five thin photo strips; now I've gone back and it's got a few whole photos, still working away. You got these from a posting, so they're not large file sizes, should have displayed by now. I'm leaving now.

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Cleared cache. Image #3 failed to load. (Firefox+Windows)

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try again with cleared cache?

11. Junglekeeper

Cleared cache. Image #6 failed to load.

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

13. Junglekeeper

Cleared cache. Image #4 failed to load.

14. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Cleared cache. Built in viewer still problematic when trying to advance to next image. All images loaded correctly when right clicked and opened in new tab.

(Mozilla Firefox up to date and Windows 8.1.)

15. wcutler

Wow, on Chrome, photos at the start of this thread are just opening up like nothing was ever wrong. I'll just let this be as it is for a while without try it in the other browsers.
    If only stupid Chrome would open PDF files instead of asking where I want to save them.

16. Daniel Mosquin

...and try again with cleared cache.

17. wcutler

Edge, only photo 6 didn't load.
    Firefox, nothing is loading.
    Chrome, 1, 2, 5, 9 did not load.

Woo-hoo, Edge wins; now if it would only display the favicon...

Went back to Firefox, clicked #1, resulting in #5 loading. Clicking 2-4 changed nothing; 5 thru 10 were fine, 1-4 still not loading.
    Did it again, starting at #1. #10 still on the screen, no change in display until I clicked #5; 5-10 were fine.

18. Daniel Mosquin

That'd be a no, then. Ok, well, my next window to work on this is next week. Sorry.

19. wcutler

I didn't find it as bad the past week, but maybe that's my upgraded speed. There were only occasional ones that didn't load.
    You don't need to apologize to us - I feel like saying "sorry" to you.

Silver surfer likes this.
  20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This thread has been quiet for a month, but the issues all still remain, as was just mentioned in a thread in the maple forum.

It makes the forum very difficult to use, and I think probably discourages the use by the average folk.

I know this is not the most important thing going on at UBC! ;) So I kind of find it normal that it might take a decent amount of time to fix.

I'll offer again to provide packet level analysis from the user side. I actually went through the excersize in the beginning of November and saw that the UBC server stops sending data in mid pic, and then times out for a very long time (20s). (Although network is not my area of concentration I am technically competent enough to follow the flow.)

Agree with Wendy, sorry that this transition has been such a PITA.

-E

21. Daniel Mosquin

I mentioned it in the other thread -- a second server was just set up as of yesterday. I now need to configure it etc. and then port the databases over, and we'll see what happens when more resources are thrown at the problem. Also, I'll be able to tweak each server for what is running on it, instead of trying to be generic. We'll see if that helps.

maf likes this.
  22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's fantastic, and thanks for the update Daniel. I'm guessing this will at the very least ameliorate the situation.

23. Daniel Mosquin

Ok, well, it took longer than I would have liked, but I've now ported the database running the forums onto a server dedicated to databases (and tweaked for database performance).

Things seem generally quicker to me, and images load quickly (we are on two servers now instead of one, after all). But, image files are being pulled from the web server instead of the database server, so if there are still issues, at least I know it isn't with the database. Fingers crossed that the problem is resolved, as my next window to spend some dedicated time is in late March.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  24. wcutler

It seems the same to me. I'm only getting two of five photos in this thread.
    Unknown shrub along a woodland trail
    Win 10, Firefox, after I cleared cache. It worked fine in Chrome, though. When I went back to Firefox, I got three of five. Now I have all but the first one. I can't get Edge to work at all any more on my desktop, so I won't be reporting on that. If you need info from it, I can check my laptop.

25. wcutler

You've done something - I tried it again, same thread and a different one, and it's good on Firefox now.