Attached image test

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by AndyX, Oct 29, 2015.

1. AndyX

AndyX New Member

I'm creating this thread so we can see if inline full size attached images show correctly for those having problems with the thumbnails and lightbox.

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Andy, I haven't been aware of any conversation between you and Daniel regarding full-size images, but we don't want them instream. I saw one yesterday and assumed that meant that Daniel removed some add-in that prevented them from appearing, maybe that was done for a test? We do want thumbnails instream, and we have not noticed any difference in how the viewer functions after clicking the instream thumb or clicking the upload thumb in the area below the posting.

Of course that removes the need for the viewer, which I thought was flakey, but Daniel didn't agree about that. And I notice on another site entirely that I did not have any problems with it. Except for exiting from it in Edge, where it goes to the bottom of the thread, not the posting with the photos (exiting by clicking outside the box).

3. AndyX

AndyX New Member

This thread is for test purposes only. Hopefully those members which are having a problem viewing images will be able to confirm if they continue to have a problem with viewing inline full size images as well or not.

4. wcutler

Actually, I thought you only posted one image! Now that I've reopened the thread from the notification of your new posting, I'm seeing that you have all the images in that posting, but I have some gaps, and though I saw the whole first photo originally, now I'm just seeing part of it; I have gaps at 5 and 8. 'So I guess it's not the viewer.
    This is in Edge. Now I've opened this thread in Firefox and all the photos were displayed there. Now I'm back here in Edge and nothing in the display has changed. [Edited - I just refreshed the browser and am now seeing all images in Edge, except that only the top half of the first one is displayed. Before, it was only maybe the top 5th. Maybe that's just a browser issue?

Edge has usually been worse than Firefox for the viewer, but I have reported problems using Firefox. I'm on Windows 10. I would give up on Edge, but I like how it corrects my typing in gmail and I like how quickly it opens, so it's my default at the moment, and when I click the notices, they open in Edge.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

All images loaded except for the first two which loaded partially when I tried shortly after noon. I noticed all images loaded after I replied to this thread.

6. wcutler

Which operating system and browser?

7. Junglekeeper

You're too quick for me. I've updated my response. I'm on an ancient version of Windows and Firefox - I'm too embarrassed to say which.

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

9. AndyX

AndyX New Member

Thank you, Emery.

10. AndyX

AndyX New Member

Some server changes were just made. Those members who are having image display problems, please see if you continue to have problems and let me know. Thank you.

11. Junglekeeper

Cleared cache. Images loaded except for #2 and #10 which loaded partially. (Firefox+Windows)

12. emery

for me, after clearing cache and clicking on the email link, I got all except #1 and #5. These images loaded partially before timing out and going to the broken link image. I reloaded, this time #5 came up but not #1. Clearly something is timing out.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

...and try again?

14. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

All images loaded except 2 and 4 which loaded 30-50% at the top of each.
    Spinny thing in the tab icon does not stop spinning.

Mozilla Firefox (up to date version); Windows 8.1 x64

Edit: and after my reply is posted 2 and 4 change to broken link icons.

15. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

All ten pics loaded fine for me.

16. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Another attempt with cleared cache, please?

17. emery

Don't know if that was aimed at me, but I tried again and got 6 of 10 this time. Very slow to respond initially on the reload after the cache clear, and loading the pics took a long time.

My browser has been updated and is now Firefox 42.0, OpenSuse 13.1 edition.

I also tried it on Chrome (26.0.2490.80, 64-bit) and after 8 minutes of trying it has loaded 7 of 10. It's still trying but seems completely stalled with the last 3 partially loaded.

18. Daniel Mosquin

*sigh* Ok, I'm not going to be able to tackle this until next week now, but at least I'll have a larger block of time for it again.

19. wcutler

Edge; a few (3) are missing. Came back after doing the others, no change; Came back after rechecking the others, still missing three photos
    Firefox; six full images and 4 partial images. Typed this line, went back to check, all fully loaded
    Chrome; 7 full photos, 2 half photos, one 3/4 photo. Came back after rechecking the others, everything is fully loaded

20. emery

I feel for you, Daniel.

I stuck wireshark on the interface and did a reload. I can send you the packet dump if that might be helpful. You should be able to load it into wireshark and analyze it from there. I let it run for 80s, by which point the connection seems pretty moribund, some sending of acks. I'm not a network person so I'd have to really spend some time trying to figure out what it means, but even the IO graph is interesting: it does almost nothing after an initial burst, for almost 30s.

upload_2015-11-11_3-3-28.png

I have other stuff like nfs on the interface, that's probably what most of the background noise is. I can see that in the period between 5-35s, there are mostly just TCP Keep-Alive between my IP and 137.82.14.130 (i.e. ubc). Let me know if you want to see the dump. Hmm, I see I can also save it in various windows formats, if that's of interest.