British Columbia: Control of fungus and white powdery stuff

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Theresa Snow, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Theresa Snow

Theresa Snow Member

I have what I think are honey mushrooms coming from the stump of a cherry tree that I had to take down this spring due to disease. I have read a bit about them and it seems that they are considered invasive and destructive. Any tips on what I should do? I seem to have a basic fungal problem in my whole garden, with white powder affecting grapes, apple, lupines and lilac. I'm not a big fan of spraying, as I have a little one and a dog, but I've cut my grapes back big time and am planning on dormant spraying them in the spring??

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If honey fungus it may help to dig out and take away the stump, remove any rhizomorphs seen on or near adjacent plantings - it can eventually spread over a very large area. The white powder on the other plants is powdery mildew, which they are showing during suitable late summer weather because of being genetically susceptible kinds - the ones you list are all more or less frequent sufferers. However, you can probably have some impact on it by hosing down the affected foliage early in the day with comparatively forceful streams of water - just don't do anything that will leave the plants sitting damp overnight, as that could make it worse.

3. Theresa Snow

Theresa Snow Member

Thank you!

4. Theresa Snow

Theresa Snow Member

A friend who has a stump grinder suggested making a slurry with N rich fertilizer and spreading it on the stump under a plastic cover when I balked at his prices. Would this be acceptable, if I first removed the mushrooms?