Importing fruit trees from US

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by arbanas, Oct 15, 2015.

1. arbanas

arbanas New Member

Does anyone here have experience with importing fruit trees from US. I know certain varieties are restricted without certain paperwork but varieties like fig and paw paw are allowed with nothing but phytosanitary. What is the process like? Do they pull you over and inspect closely? Have you ever lost plants even though you had phyto certificates?

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

The process is somewhat tedious, but not that difficult. First stop should be the Canada Customs Automated Import Reference System (AIRS), which allows you to enter the genus/species name to see the relevant regulations. With the exception of Prunus and Pyrus, lots of fruiting trees and shrubs are admissible with only a phyto, which is provided by the originating nursery (there is almost always a charge for this). Provided the plants don't require an additional import permit (again, discoverable via AIRS), you can get by with just the phyto. At the border, it gets more confusing. You need to pull into the commercial vehicle holding area once through the border booth, and have to go to the office (where you'll wait with all the truckers), and fill out a form on the provided computer kiosks. This involves a lot of information, including some specific codes and line items that can be intimidating the first time through. The staff on hand will usually assist (somewhat) with this, but you have to have everything on the forms in order or they'll refuse to let you through. You may or may not have an ag. inspector go through your load--if it's a lot of plants, expect to unload it all for them to have a look. Other times, they don't inspect at all: it appears to be quite random. Allot a few hours to spend at the border--depending on the day, it can go quick or take a while. As I recall (it's been a couple of years) you may also have to send (or have things expedited by sending) your particulars to CCRA ahead of time for pre-approval--it doesn't exempt you from the above described process, but it might make it go smoother (or be essential, again, it's been a while but I recall having to fax documents to the CCRA ahead of time...best to check with them).

That said, a few smaller nurseries in BC have been importing a lot of this stuff for a while, and pawpaws and certain fig varieties (for instance) are available here in B.C., sparing you the hassle.

3. arbanas

arbanas New Member

Okay, thanks. Have you ever gone through the process of importing varieties like Prunus that require more paperwork etc? Is it difficult?

4. woodschmoe

In my experience, Prunus is very difficult to import: you have to find a nursery willing to do the (to them) tedious and expensive treatments necessary to be admissible to Canada. The two large US wholesale growers I dealt with stopped selling Prunus (and Pyrus) to Canadian customers on account of this: one claimed that the treatment itself was damaging/killing an overly high percentage of stock. Still, with some digging you might find a nursery willing to meet the requirements, but be aware that import permits and likely additional documentation will no doubt be required for these (again, discoverable on AIRS).

5. woodschmoe

I should add that you can avoid a lot of the import hassle (with the less regulated genus/species) by hiring a broker ahead of time--for a nominal fee they'll take care of the paperwork and greatly expedite the process. The procedure I described was for importing it yourself. You are still subject to inspection and need to go through the motions, but it greatly lessens the paperwork on the spot.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think we at the Garden have pretty much determined it is almost impossible to import Prunus plants. Maybe @Douglas Justice can comment, I seem to recall him saying something about this with regard to it being near-impossible to add to the mix of Ornamental Cherry varieties in Vancouver.

7. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

As "woodschmoe" stated, its not all that difficult to bring in the plants provided you have the paperwork. The biggest problem I've always found with bring plants into Canada is actually finding a US supplier that is WILLING to provide that paperwork - I always been told its either "too expensive" or "too much hassle" for them to deal with.

One supplier you might want to check out is Cistus Nursery in Oregon; they are willing to provide a phyto (at a reasonable fee) and will work with you on the shipping. Phoenix Perennials in Richmond BC not only does mail order but will often have a "bulk purchase" through Cistus in the spring time - and they'll handle all the paperwork and shipping arrangements. If Cistus can not provide, ask Phoenix to see if they can get for you.

FYI, BC has very strict regulations on importing fruit and nut trees - there are a lot that you can't even bring in from other provinces, let alone internationally (I had to pay for a permit to bring in butternut trees from Ontario).