Phoenix canariensis

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Bruciebaby, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Bruciebaby

Bruciebaby New Member

I purchased 2 PC's about 12 months ago. Both were about 4 feet high with a spread 2-3 feet, with very nice leaves. By early 2015 the leaves were brown and looked dead. At this time (August 2015) there is new growth in each plant about 9 inches high in the centre of the plant. Have I over / under watered. Do the outer leaves die off each year. Should I protect them from frost etc etc. I have placed both plants as centre pieces in my south facing back garden. Temperatures can go to -10 / -15c. Or as high as 30c. What should I do to protect them, how much water should they take etc. What feed do they need. This novice Scotsman welcomes your advice.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Protect them from frost below -5°C. That's what's done the damage. Actually, the next 2 winters, protect from all frost completely, until they have recovered their vigour from the last winter's setback.

But to be honest, growing Phoenix canariensis outdoors in Scotland is a non-starter. If you want a palm, get Trachycarpus fortunei.

3. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Phoenix canariensis is not suited for Scotland....it survives also -10°, but for one night and with daily temperature arising above +10°....it comes from Canary Islands, can't be hardy as Trachycarpus fortunei

4. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

I agree with T.fortunei. They have those near the beach at Scarborough.

5. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

T.fortunei can take 0 F and survive :)