Leycesteria Formosa help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Barbara Lloyd, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I would like some help to propagate Leycesteria Formosa, Himalayan honeysuckle. Has anyone had luck and if so - did you use cuttings or seeds? barb

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Division in the autumn, or by seed in the Spring. The seeds are easy to germinate, and yield good results...seed should be ready to harvest now.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Thanks for the quick reply. Next - dumb question, berries directly off the plant or still shiny ones on the ground? any special treatment of berries/seeds mainly how to store till spring. barb

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Not a dumb question at all. I can't vouch for the shiny fresh berries, but I harvest the wrinkled ones that look like raisins (usually still in the calyx) and extract the seeds by gently tearing the berries and working the pieces through my fingers in a bowl of water--the seeds will float to the surface: lay them out to dry and store in the fridge. I simply plant them in flats in the early Spring to germinate indoors, no special pre-treatment required...some sources list the need for cold treatment, but in my experience they germinate readily in 1-3 weeks after sowing indoors or on a heated table.

Have you tried eating the berries? Taste quite a bit like burnt/carmelized sugar....

5. Barbara Lloyd

I don't usually taste, unless I know what it is, but I'll give it a try. I must be one of few here in Anacortes to have this plant because I get asked about it frequently. Figured it was time to learn more about it. Thanks!

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Woodschmoe - thanks for the detailed info on how to germinate Leycesteria formosa seeds. After tasting a seed I can only conclude that I don't like burnt/caramelized sugar. :-)