Unwanted and Unknown Ground-cover...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by TheScarletPrince, Aug 30, 2015.

1. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

I have an unknown ground-cover that nobody has been able to identify yet.
    Does anyone have any clue at all what this is?
    I can provide more screenshots or details. Somewhat tubular growing vine that features stubby green, shiny leaves with yellow flowers at bloom but prickly stickers otherwise. Roots wherever it touches the ground. Please assist in identification!

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Amaranthus blitoides or related species.

3. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Or may be Alternanthera of some kind (A.pungens) ?

4. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

This seems more like it. I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider eating these plants. Apparently there are tiny little black seeds, but if the plant harms other plants AND crops it is a bad thing and should be removed.
    Shouldn't even have to mention how annoying the stickers are. The blooming yellow flower carpet is nice but not worth the stickers or harm to other plants/increase in flooding! :)
    Thanks for this information I will continue to destroy these blasted things.

"It is a weed of many kinds of agricultural crops, it is an invasive species that degrades native habitat, and its dense mats of vegetation clog waterways, slowing shipping and increasing flooding.[4] Alternanthera plants are known to produce allelopathic compounds that injure other plants, including crops.[4]"
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternanthera