Acer palmatum 'Amagi shigure' (Japanese selection)

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

It is curious that under this name we find two different trees in the USA and in Europe (and Japan). The US version is described in Vertrees book (page 110, 3rd ed.) and can be seen here http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Cookie=9.25.04_13,56,23_15/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***DKD-CB-069069069069069073-1383***-Class***-***MM(directory)***.ws4d?MM/testproduct.html

The European version is here:
    http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/a/acpasi.htm

and in Japan:

http://ganshuku.cool.ne.jp/31_032amagisigure.html

Maybe Jim knows the explanation

Regards,
    Gomero

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: A. palmatum 'Amagi shigure'

Gomero,

I don't think I can be of much help, but my opinion is that the Vertrees referenced many Japanese sources for his writings and that I think he tried to adhere as closely as possible to historic and precataloged data. We would think that if this new Amagi shigure existed, the red reticulated form, that he would have addressed it in his description, but he did not.

The red form is seen on the Mallot French site, Esveld, and Ganshuku, but the green form is seen at Mountian Maples and they give JD credit on their website for helping them start the business. If the Vertrees translation of the name "soft drizzle" is correct, we would assume the green form is correct and you would have to talk to your folks close to home to find out why the name was used again for an entirely different plant.

Intersting you bring this up as I have noticed the discrepency before also. The red reticuated form looks like as seedling selection from Kasagiyama and sense many of those types of selections have been made in recent years, I would guess the red plant to be much newer than the green palmatum form.

MJH

3. melintir

melintir Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Amagi shigure'

got mine from french nursery

[​IMG]

it is indeed different from the one described by Vertrees in his book

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Today I received a little 'Amagi shigure' as a bonus in my truck load of trees. I did not get a good look at it since I was more worried about unloading the truck but from my first quick glance I would say the leaves are much lighter in color than the purple ghost whic=h were also on the truck. The leaves also seemed much smaller than the PG. Now there is a difference in size of the two trees I am comparing so maybe that will have some impact on the size of the leaves. Here are some photos of the tree.

Attached Files:

5. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

California, USA, near Oakland / San Francisco

I've been trying to get my hands on this. Who sells it?

6. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Oooh, pretty!

7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I received a request to move the existing thread on 'Amagi shigure' from General Maple Discussion to the photo gallery. As there were no photos posted in the first part of that thread I have instead copied across the original posts from Gomero and MJH discussing the two forms known under this name, Charlie's photos, and any posts made after the pictures were posted. And melintir's post with a link to a photo.

Any suggestions for a better way of naming the thread than "Acer palmatum 'Amagi shigure' (Japanese selection)" gratefully received.

Edit: Adding link to Japanese website Nippon no momiji's page on this cultivar, with clickable pictures of four stages of leaf development: Amagi shigure

Yano's "Book for Maples" lists a 1987 introduction date for this form, which backs up the assertion above that the Vertrees prior described form has the true claim to the name 'Amagi shigure'. Quite why there are two such different plants that have been given the same name is a mystery, but not a unique occurance in the history of Japanese maples.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  8. amazingmaples

The tree has wonderful color, it will be nice to see it in a full size tree

Attached Files:

9. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

gorgeous plant. Too bad it's not commercially available in the U.S. I tried Mailot, but they don't sell to U.S. customers.

10. amazingmaples

here is photos of the one in my garden, it is a little bigger at about 18" tall.

Attached Files:

11. winterhaven

Hey Charlie,

Judging from your post, you've had yours almost a year. I know it's jouvenile and you haven't had it too long... but what did you observe? Did it hold it's color through the summer? Did it get a second flush? What color was it in the fall? And this spring, when did it leaf out in relation to your other trees?

12. winterhaven

Hey Charlie, tell us more!

BTW, in post #4 your picture shows the tree looking almost purple/fuchsia colored. But Talon's website describes it as, having "bright brick-red leaves with prominent black veins." And your more recent photos seem consistent with that description. So is the color in post #4 from the camera augmenting it? Or is that particular tree different from other Amagi shigure? Or is that a color variation you're seeing during a particular season?

13. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

The color reminds me a lot of Olson's Frosted Strawberry in spring. Big difference is of course that Olson's fades to a dull beige by mid-summer. I'd love to get an Amagi Shigure.

Steve

14. amazingmaples

There are many different colors to the tree. There is an assortment of reds and purples along with some dark greens. I am sure location will have a big impact as to the coloration of the tree. The tree I have is in the shade, it has been there all year.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      138.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      117.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      112 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
  15. amazingmaples

here are the first leaves on my new Amagi shigure for 2012.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  16. amazingmaples

I have this tree planted in mostly shade and it still has a nice purple red color. I do find this to be a very nice colored tree. i am sure there are plenty out there who will find it to be like a .... and similar to a ....

Attached Files:

• 083.jpg
      083.jpg
      File size:
      242.3 KB
      Views:
    • 077.jpg
      077.jpg
      File size:
      166 KB
      Views:
    • 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      183.3 KB
      Views:
    • 082.jpg
      082.jpg
      File size:
      118.5 KB
      Views:
    • 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      285.6 KB
      Views:
  17. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

I bought my 2-yr. old graft last year from Essence of the Tree. At first I was crazy about getting my hands on it, but now that I own it I have second thoughts about Amagi Shigure because its neon pink just looks unnatural and jarring for a Japanese maple.

18. amazingmaples

I guess i am different, i love the outburst of color.

19. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

This is a tree I'm seriously considering purchasing, but how would you compare it to Kasagi yama and Olsen's Frosted Strawberry (which I already have)? As much as I would love to have hundreds of cultivars, I don't have a large yard and so am trying not to 'duplicate' when I buy new trees. Smaller stature/leaves is also beneficial...

20. amazingmaples

I have the tree planted in a dark location. In this spot the leaves have an almost black color with the strinking reddish pink and purple colors. I love the color for the spot but at the same time the tree is subtle so people walk by without taken too much note of it. Next year i will try it in sun.

Attached Files:

• 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      112.4 KB
      Views:
    • 039.jpg
      039.jpg
      File size:
      115.4 KB
      Views:
  21. maplesandpaws

I was shocked at the intensity of color upon opening the box - and I expect I'll be even more shocked this fall, and next spring. Can't wait. :) Another great tree from Sam at Eastfork.

Attached Files:

22. maplesandpaws

new spring leaves - not quite the color I was expecting, but I'm sure that will change before too long :)

Attached Files:

23. Jonasillustration

Jonasillustration Member

I have used this site for research, and finally became a member. I just placed an order for Amagi, I can't wait to get it. I saw a small one in person recently. Truly beautiful. The location I have in mind is very shady, so I was happy to see how beautiful the tree looks in Charlie's photos. Thank you for posting such high-quality images. I haven't seen any recent posts from you at Amazing Maples. If you're still around could you post one or two shots of your Amagi? It's been two years, so I would love to see how it looks now. How old was it when you planted it?

24. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

AmazingMaples - Charlie, You have the best photos. Anymore of your largest Amagi shigure?

What other exotics have you gotten from Talon lately? I picked up Taylor and Mayday, plus two dwarf culivars - Hime shojo and Chiri hime. I have one gallons do you have photos of these cultivars in a larger size?

25. Blinky1

Blinky1 New Member

Hi All, thanQ for sharing your photos and experience on this beautiful maple. Does anyone know why the leaves on my amagi shigure is so strange looking? image.jpg