In The Garden: Looking for 4 ID's

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by TheScarletPrince, Jul 22, 2015.

1. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Some of the sprouts I have growing that I do not exactly know what are:

#1 I believe I planted this, but I don't really know what it is. I really like the leaves and want to know what it is and the best way to take care of it so it will flourish.

#2 I think these are cloves? Or something, interested to know.

#3 As you can see the yard is invaded every year by these pesky ground covering invasives that create two pronged thorns. I would like to know if horehound or something else can combat these invasive ground cover plants that create stickers. We are going to till the yard and plant flowers in all of it to get rid of the grass/weeds/fleas/grasshoppers/etc. They really are a double-edged sword because they don't look bad as ground cover and even produce nice yellow flowers but eventually you have a yard full of nasty stickers that always track back into the house.

#4 Strange plant that appeared, is it a tree? It seems to be, wondering what it was and if I should remove it or not.

Thank you for your time and consideration, it is very much appreciated. I am grateful for any help or comments. Have a great day!~

Attached Files:

2. stone

stone Active Member

1) mimosa (invasive)
    2) oxalis... (wood sorrel) aggressive.
    3)looks like an apple. (if you are asking about the ground cover, a closer pic is required)
    4) looks like a pecan seedling. (keep)

3. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Thanks for the names, here is the picture of the ground cover:
    As for the apple, I was wondering if it looked like it needed anything. I have been washing aphids from the new leaf growth and was just wondering if it should look anymore lush than that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'll agree the first one is a legume. I won't agree that we can tell it is any particular kind yet - including Albizia julibrissin, which is presumably the invasive mimosa referred to previously.

5. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Could it possibly be 'Mimosa tenuiflorae'? Even if it is invasive, we are keeping it because we enjoy the flowers and I am interested in the bark. :)
    Also, wiki mentions that it is a Pioneer plant that has nitrogen fixing capabilities, making the soil rich for other plants to grow in. Very glad it sprang up in one of my pots!

6. stone

stone Active Member

Where in Texas are you?
    Considering the other plants... I have to believe that you have the Chinese variety.
    http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=alju

Didn't even know there was a Mexican variety... My area is over-run with the invasive type, and I would encourage looking around to see if it isn't true in your area, as well...

The nitrogen fixing qualities make them seem almost desirable, but like the Chinese wisteria... Not redeeming enough... To make up for the harm caused.

7. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

The odd thing about it is I have never seen one of these trees before, it appeared in the pot next to the Citrus p.
    Could it of been the wind? There must be a mother tree around somewhere that I just haven't seen.
    The soil in texas is desolate and (I am 30mi southish from Abilene) could really use something like this so I am not too worried about the invasive-ness. After all, I am cultivating milkweed which spreads like mad. :)