Interesting Seedlings, Questions

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jul 4, 2015.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My seedlings seem to be faring well thus far in our very hot temps (90-100 the past few weeks), but two have stuck out. One is from Nuresagi, the other from Seiryu.

As this is my first time growing from seed, I did have a few questions. I know some can show/keep unique characteristics immediately, but most take time to show their true colors so to speak. Is there a general time frame when this usually happens, or is it completely random? How long, typically, should a seedling be observed to determine what it's mature characteristics will be? Also, as with any plant/seed, some tend to sprout/grow faster than others. Does this usually mean they are 'stronger' than those that grow slower/sprout later, or does it not matter?

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't think there's any difference in when the seed germinates. I keep a seed tray for 2 years because there's quite a lot of germination the second year, I don't notice these are weaker plants generally.

My experience is that some plants are weak, these are more difficult and I lose a lot of them during our very wet winters. When I look at root generation these usually have small roots.

Some seedlings just don't thrive. 3 years ago I germinated 2 A. argutum. They've received identical treatment. One has filled a 3 l pot and I just moved it to a 7.5l last week. It's maybe 80cm tall, lots of growth this year. The other has 4 leaves, and is maybe 8cm. I dumped it out of it's 1l pot to look, there was only a small surface root... No whys or wherefors, it's just a weak sibling. Still nursing it along for now though!

-E

3. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Andrea, I have similar questions about seedlings. Three of my Burgundy lace seedlings look completely different.

Attached Files:

4. kalod

kalod New Member Maple Society

I have same with yours.
    10% of seeds, turned out to be different.
    (these seeds sprouted last year's winter, ofcourse, in Vietnam, the winter is not too cold as in US, and what i found is that Maples only took around 1 month for sleeping :D)
    ===//

Should I think that, many cultivars available now are grafted to become new cultivars, by using these sudden different types of seedlings?

Attached Files:

5. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Yes, you are correct. It will be interesting to see if the changes remain when they are a couple of years old. Hello to Hanoi. We were in Viet Nam last September. Beautiful country.

6. kalod

kalod New Member Maple Society

Thanks for your nice words, Marymyers.
    I live in Hanoi :D, and here I have more confidence to grow and train Maples (rather than in Hochiminh city - southern Vietnam).

For some of my Maples with different types of leaf, I was thinking that the climate of Hanoi did make it change somehow :D. My intention is to grow these, then get some material for grafting onto A.Palmatum, to see if we will get any new cultivars here :D.
    Last year I bought some seeds from Japan (A.P matsumurae - Yamamomiji), but now they stay still in ziplock in fridge :D, I will spend 1 year more to see if there's anything lucky :D.

7. itsfullofstars

itsfullofstars New Member

The genetic variation from seedlings is amazing. I have about 11 seiryu seedlings growing and only one has a leaf shape close to seiryu itself.
    It is fascinating.

8. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

This is what I found in my trays. One with 3 and one with 4 cotyledons. And a few pink coloured.

Attached Files:

9. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Hey Tiko
    What are you growing them in perlite? Wow you have a lot.
    I hope I get 20-30 to pop up
    Pat

10. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Hi Patdero1,
    The perlit is very thin and at the top only.
    That way it prevents the quick drying of the medium.
    I feel very happy around them!
    These seedlings are from acer palmatum. I also have stratified seeds from Japonicum and Bloodgood- but so far no sprouting.