Appreciation: Pruning Maple tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bayhorse, Jul 6, 2015.

1. bayhorse

bayhorse Member

We planted a Crimson King Maple last fall, we are in the Okanagan. After winter the young maple only had one surviving branch with leaves, it is still struggling. Do we prune it at all or just leave it until it hopefully gets a few more branches? Appreciate any advice you can give.

2. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

There is a lengthy discussion about pruning under the "Frequently Asked Questions" part of the Maples forum. I am no expert, but I have had winter dieback on some of my maples. It would be good if you could post a photo of your tree. From what I have seen posted, once you are sure a branch is dead (no green when you scratch the top bark away with a fingernail), you might as well prune that branch. Maybe with a photo, some of the members might be able to give better advice or maybe even hazard a guess on what the cause of the dieback might be.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Get rid of it (it'll never make a well-shaped tree), and plant something else more attractive, and less invasive ;-)

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

If this was a bonsai forum, I'd say:"Try to air-layer the living part of the tree".

I think this is the kind of cultivar that can thrive on its own roots. It's a bit late to do it, and here it's not the best conditions at the moment because the weather is very hot and dry, but I would try it anyway, the chances of succes are over 50%.

If it works, the lower part of the tree may well backbud, so in the end you could end up with two tlrees for the price of one ;°)

If it doesn't work, Michael F's suggestion is still valid...

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, Michael's first point really is valid. It's a slow growing tree until it gets going. With these problems it is likely to sit around for years getting established, it really would be better to replace it and try again.

That said I like the tree a lot, it makes a fabulous looking large red maple in time. Whether it should be planted is not an issue where I live because it's not invasive, even if it is over planted. But it is worth considering whether this is a good choice in BC, if it is very invasive there. According to this study http://horttech.ashspublications.org/content/19/1/91.full 'Crimson King' is suitable where invasiveness is an issue because if its relatively low flower and seed production.

I do grow 'Crimson King' but not 'Faasen's Black' as mentioned in the study although I would very much like to plant it.

-E

6. bayhorse

bayhorse Member

Thank you for your reply. I think I'll leave it for awhile and see how it does. We are on 10 acres of property and wanted a nice crimson colored maple to offset the varigated green of the drummondi maples. We don't seem to have a problem here with them being invasive, we have a real problem with voles eating the roots, however, this is not the case with this Crimson King. It was quite a good size tree to transplant so possibly it is still trying to get its roots established.

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Bit of additional advice: if the 'Drumondii's start to revert to green, immediately cut the all green part out. Otherwise before you know it they will be plain green Norway maples.

It was very fashionable to plant these here about 20 years and so there are lots of them, but sadly mostly reverted by now, I noticed several on Friday planted where we sat to watch the Tour go by. They had only a few variegated leaves left. Too bad: they're beautiful trees that will look great with your 'Crimson King'. And, I've never seen seeds on them! :)

-E