Acer palmatum 'Shidava Gold'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, Jul 28, 2011.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I find this to be a very nice small green bush/tree. It looks very similar to Aoyagi or Ukon. This one is in the shade.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. amazingmaples

This shidava gold is siting in full sitting in full sun and doing well. The leaves are a lighter green than the one in shade, as to be expected. i do not see any burning

I have added a photo with the fall color coming out

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. amazingmaples

Here are the last of the fall colors

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      296.4 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      265.5 KB
      Views:
  4. amazingmaples

Here are the first colors for 2012

Attached Files:

5. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Fresh, new growth on my Shidava Gold from Spring, 2013. If only it stayed this pretty all summer long... <sigh>

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

6. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

New growth on Shidava Gold, April 2014
    The last pic shows Shidava Gold together with Chioshio Improved (Shin chioshio).

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Does this look like a Shidava Gold to anyone? I bought this as "Capercis Dwarf," but the spring color was bright yellow-green, not red-edged, and the petioles and bark are a stunning bright green as well. Pretty sure I was shipped the wrong tree...

...not that I'm complaining. It's stunning.

First photo shows end of June. Second and third photos are from May.

Attached Files:

8. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

You're just not having luck getting correct trees, lol. Where did this one come from? What does the overall tree look like? I'm no expert, and I don't have many cultivars to compare to, but almost looks a bit like my Summer Gold... On mine, the new leaves do sometimes have a slight blush at the edges, but not always, and the petioles and bark on mine are also a nice green. If it is Summer Gold, put it in lots of sun :)

9. maplesmagpie

I know, right? It's frustrating, but it's probably a good lesson for me in letting go and enjoying the individual plant rather than just collecting names. In this instance I'm glad for the mistake, because I really enjoy this tree. Much more than what I've seen of Capercis Dwarf, actually.

This one came from 1947chuck1947 last summer. I went to ask him about his other stock and what this might have been, but sadly he closed down his ebay account because of health problems late last year. He had a stroke. Thankfully the messages about his health seemed to be written by him, so I'm hopeful he's recovering.

I went and looked at Summer Gold. Thanks for the suggestion-- it's one I hadn't considered and didn't know about. Mine has bright green petioles and bark, though.

10. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I got a tree from him too early last year, supposed to be Ariadne but I'm kind of wondering now too - it is reticulated, and looks similar, but the leaf shape and coloring are a bit off.

I'll have to go out and check my tree now, but I'm positive the bark and petioles on my Summer Gold are green; mine came from Lucile (Whitman Farms).

11. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I would go with the Shidava cultivar,you have described the colours petioles and bark to a tee, basically it's just a mini Aoyagi but saying that it's also very close to Lutscens just for added confussion?

One thing you will find though if it's Shidava gold it will go the most amazing yellow colour in the fall just like the Aoyagi it's parent.

Posted pics of Aoyagi,Lutscens and Summer gold of which it's not.

Have actually been to a nursery in the spring and picked what i thought was a Baldsmith, and what the grower thought and told me was a Baldsmith only for it to turn out to be Pendulum Julian for which i was offered a swap,but declined and kept the later for which i was highly delighted with, just affirms that for all the best will in the world even the experts get it wrong now and again, have five P/J NOW :) best dissectum ever!!

Very good way of attaining a cultivar which you would normally not consider buying only to find you love it, and why didn't i buy one of these years ago?

Attached Files:

12. maplesmagpie

Exactly, ROEBUCK!

So it sounds like Lutescens will turn a darker green later in the summer, but Shidava Gold stays bright green, at least according to Vertrees. Thank you for the info on the fall color. By fall I'll know what this tree is, though it sounds like Shidava Gold is the winner. It's definitely taking on a dwarf shape and growth pattern, not like Aoyagi.

And thank you for the photo comparison! Very helpful.

13. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

If you get a chance, also get Capercis Dwarf. I is my favorite yellow colored tree. It just needs a couple of years to get acclimated, then wow, reds and yellows.