Summer leaves at their best now

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Seeing that we are well into the season now, posting a varied selection of pics of the leaves of J/M which all should be at their best by now, and in turn giving us all a good splendid summer showing.

Sharps pygmy
    Aoyagi (very sharp intense green)
    Tsuma gaki
    Kogane nishiki (new one for me, lovely foliage)
    Acontifolium
    Peaches and cream (very pretty)
    Hessei
    Oregon sunset
    Purple ghost
    Amber ghost
    Pendulum julian (starting it's second colour change now olive green)
    Mirte (again second colouring)
    Tamukeyama (powdery plum colour)
    Koriba (deep dark plum, super veining)
    Wakehurst pink
    Spring delight
    Aka shigitatsu sawa
    Deshojo

So far it's been a glorious season the trees have really excelled,very little leaf scorching this year up to press, think the poor summer is helping somewhat.
    The bugs have also been kept well down this season, must admit it's been a little bit windy though :o

Favourite tree of the year so far, Peaches and cream colours i have never seen so intense before,plus all the other trees are showing good strong foliage with super colours, roll on Autumn!

Hopefully others will contribute to this thread, lets see some of the trees we don't have in the UK please.

Hope every one else is having a good season :)

Attached Files:

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I love the Hessei photo....

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Some of mine display colours that I usually see at the end of summer. I was very surprised to see that the leaves on your Tsuma gaki were red: on mine, I thought it was due to the dry, sunny weather we've had for some time.

Others show colours that I feared were due to a stress, but maybe it's normal?

1: Beni hagoromo: not too worried about this one, and the colours are beautiful!
    2: Deshojo: usually turns green sooner
    3: Osakasuki: I saved this one from a graden center, it was on sale because the leaves were burnt. Develops quite fast, but once again, shouldn't it be green instead of this reddish colour?
    4: Sango kaku
    5: Tsuma gaki: same story as #3

So far, almost no leaf scorch, but they forecast temps at 35° + for next week, so I think I'd better move them to a shaded spot. I just hope my chiropractor won't be on holidays... ^^

PS: the large light-green leaves in pictures 1 and 5 are not maple leaves, it's a Vitex agnus-castus, not anything else as my brother-in law asked me one day ;0). Very nice violet flowers in July, and gives good shade.

Attached Files:

4. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Here are some of my summer leaf pictures, before they all get too crispy in the plus 100 degree heat.

They are:

Pung kil; This one has always done well and it seems to be thriving its second summer.
    Atropurpureum; This is also in its second year here and is fast turning greener, but I love it.
    Esk Sunset; We had a hail storm that tattered it last month and it is being eaten by something, but the reflected light from the purple underside of the leaves is great.
    Mon zukushi; This was a small 4 in pot purchase spring of 2014 and has really thrived in am sun.
    Manyo no sato; Another small 4 in pot purchase planted spring '14, not fast growing, but seems to be happy.
    Oridono nishiki; This was a larger 2 gal planted last fall. Is now shaded by a white cloth sail shade since it gets pm sun. It is doing okay. You can see some leaf burn.
    Amber Ghost; This one is in the same area as the Oridono. Doesn't seem to burn, but boy is it green. Not at all like the one that Roebuck's photo shows. Maybe too much sun.
    Hefner's Red; Also in the area with Amber Ghost and Oridono. Supposed to be very heat tolerant and purple all summer. Looks like it has some green on the leaves that are shaded.
    The last photo is my "sail shaded" area with the 3 maples, Amber Ghost, Oridono Nishiki and Hefner's Red. I realize this is only a temporary help. Hope to find out what trees can do okay in this area or at least tolerate it and then move them if I need to.

Attached Files:

5. AlainK

"...before they all get too crispy in the plus 100 degree heat."

Wow! ! ! !

I suddenly remembered that for that part of the world, that's not 100° C, that's 100° Farenheit (a scale of measurements made by an Austrian in 1724, looking out from his bedloom window evely molning, huh, huh...)

Well 37.78° Celsius is very hot, we too might well have temperatures well above 35°C next week: cool for those who like to get a tan, and an occasional skin cancer, not so good for J. maples though... ^^

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Roebuck,

Love those pics, but seeing the stage they're in reminds me of how different our climates are. We go from spring to summer in about 3 days, so the colors on the reticulates, corallinums, etc. fade very rapidly. We just have to soak it all up while we can! A lot of my maples are in their second flush of growth now, so I get a little glimpse of that fresh color now and again.

7. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Yes Alain K. For this time of year it is way hotter than usual. We are very afraid of the rest of the summer heat now. Even Western Oregon where a lot of our maples come from is having more than 100 degree Fahrenheit. Today it is 106 F. Sometimes I think it is not the place to try to grow these trees, but for the most part it is worth it. Mayb the trees don't think so! Tomorrow it will be 109F. I travelled to Paris and Normandy in April this year for the first time. Quite a difference..but it was the first week of April.

8. AlainK

Oh boy! Something must be wrong! On Wikipedia the average June temps for Boise are 27.2°C (80.96 F)

Here too, it's unusually hot and dry, and worse, quite windy. I've never seen the Loire river so low, with already sandbanks where they show every 2 or 3 years in late august/early september.

9. ROEBUK

The Hessei is very pretty this year and will go a stunning orange/gold in the fall.

Another similar tree to the hessei is golden pond very similar in leaf structure and again beautiful fall colours,both of these have done really well since they were planted out two seasons ago,but most importantly i have found somewhere they both like to grow and here they will stay for the foreseable future.

Attached Files:

10. ROEBUK

Attached Files:

11. ROEBUK

Great pictures all seem to be thriving in your hot temps at the present, think i would wither and crisp in those temps never mind the trees!! like the Hefners red and Eskimo sunset. As you say your Amber ghost is very green compared to the one i have,mines a pretty red colour at the moment with lovely green veining in the leaves.

I also have an area where i tend to keep all the youngsters, but i have a large standard Red garnet in a 40ltr container which acts as a large parasol and supprisingly keeps them well shaded, plus they are hemmed in by the workshop on the left and the fence on the right ,which just allows the right amount of sunlight on to them in the late afternoon.The majority are all ground growing apart from four which will be moved for next season. All seem to be content with no leaf scorching and are growing quite well.

Attached Files:

12. ROEBUK

Kaitain4...You have hit the nail right on the head with regards to the continental difference's. We in the UK are very temperate in climate,basically cold wet dull with very little prolonged bouts of hot intense sunshine.Have noticed this year especially how well most of the trees are performing,with very long periods of good colour showing and good paternation in the variagates etc.

Three pics posted first is a Murasaki kiyohime just starting it's re growth of areas which were zapped by a late frost we had in April, lovely little coloured leaves giving more visual interest ,second pic is one of my Coonara pygmys just starting with it's second growth surge along with it's potted kin , and finally a Kasagi yama showing it's lovely veinings.

Another four months and we can all watch the fall spectacular!!!

Attached Files:

13. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I took a camera around the yard yesterday. This is the color in 5b. We've had a very cool summer, with a very wet spring followed by a somewhat dry June.

Seigai (?)
    Shindeshojo
    Red Dragon
    Seriyu
    Capercis Dwarf
    Corallinum
    Mikawa yatsubusa
    Ariadne (and a hardy geranium)
    Scolopendrifolium
    Kashima
    Tsukushigata
    Tsukushigata again
    Moonrise
    Moonrise again
    Bashful
    Fireglow
    Fireglow again
    Lemon Lime Lace
    Baldsmith
    Baldsmith again
    Orangeola
    Iijima sunago pushign new growth
    North Wind
    Emperor I
    Momoiro koyasan
    Momoiro koyasan again

Attached Files:

14. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your trees are in fabulous condition :)

15. ROEBUK

A few more pictures,was going to do this yesterday but the UK was like a tropical island and was so hot!!!!! hotest day ever for over ten years (phew) how you guys manage in the US with your trees is beyond me?

Spent quite an enjoyable day on the patio instead, thinking of what i could be doing, instead of doing absolutely nothing :)

S/Aureum
    Baldsmith
    Shishigashira
    Momoiro Koya san (1)
    M/K (2).. still showing super colours after two months
    Momiji gawa
    Hogyoku
    Wilson's pink
    Ukigumo
    Beni maiko
    Emerald lace
    Autumn moon
    Palmatifidum
    Summer gold
    Mikawa yatsubusa
    Skeeters broom
    Seiryu
    Filigree (so close to the 'Suisei' cultivar this year)

Attached Files:

16. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, I've been meaning to reply here for a while. So many great pictures, your gardens and trees are looking wonderful.

I went into the nearly 40C heat last week to take these. Some of the trees are starting to suffer quite a bit, especially Chinese poplars, which will lose many leaves. The maples are doing better generally but I have been watering. Pictured below A. negundo 'Sensation' has leaf loss where leaves are going from bronze to brilliant red and yellow-orange. It's a little early for fall colour! I gave it and the poplars 300l of water each in the evening after taking the pics...

Roebuk I think Osakazuki does very well in full sun usually, yours looks like it's suffering. I've started with a couple of pics of mine, which has had verticillium and died back a lot, but has fought it off and is now in remission. Let's hope I can keep it going for a good while, it is a magnificent cultivar. You'll note that the ends of branchlets where it is sun burned, it's going a bit orange.

1. 'Osakazuki' (full sun)
    2. same
    3. A. pectinatum 'Mozart'
    4. 'Pink Filigree' (full sun)
    5. rufinerve 'Hatsu yaki'
    6. 'Shin Chishio' (full sun)
    7. Asahi zuru (full sun)
    8. negundo 'Senstation'
    9. platanoides 'Drummondii'
    10. cappidocicum 'Aureum' summer growth
    11. rubrum 'Candy Ice' summer growth
    12. campestre 'Silver Celebration' does not burn much even in full sun.

Attached Files:

17. ROEBUK

emery..The pictures are superb, the pink filigree with the beautiful back drop tree is just one of the nicest companion plantings i have seen, you really don't know which to look at first both are fighting for your attention both looking lovely.

You are right with regards the Osakazuki it's struggling in it's present position but it's just going to have to wait until i get around to making a new sheltered area for it to live. All the branches are fine no die back etc lovely green bark nice and supple plenty of moisture in them, just the front facing (south) leaves which are looking rough at the moment.

Same goes for my Ashai zuru needs to be somewhere more shady,it's ok but nowhere near the same as last year when i had it behind the workshop.

Hear what you are saying with regards the heat, thankfully we had very heavy thunder storms last night which brought terrential rain with it, nicely watered everything for the next couple of days though.

18. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Heh, the flowering shrub behind 'Pink Filigree' is an Holodiscus discolor; it looks fabulous for about 5 minutes and a terrible mess the rest of the year; last week I caught it just right, but the flowers are already going brown. The holodiscus is a little bit of a cautionary tale: totally unavailable in France some years ago, JG Harris brought it down from Taunton for me. After years of trying I finally had one! Now I just have to live with it... ;)

Glad you got some rain. We had 2 thunder showers also, but only about 10mm total. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but still very, very dry. I looked and we've only had about 1/2 the usual annual rainfall so far this year. Well, we "only" got to around 28C today, anyway! :)

-E

19. ROEBUK

Every year i have the same problems with my two Hibiscus trees,had them for years and every year with out fail they will leaf up nicely ,bud out and just when the flowers start to unfurl i can guarantee the rain will come and destroy the delicate flower petals.

Such a shame you wait for so long for a brief glimpse then they are damaged!!

The Holodiscus is stunning must agree, my neighbour has a nice 'mock orange'which always looks pretty this time of year think i will see if i can have a cutting from her.

Have been looking for a nice flowering white tree to break the Acers up a bit and add a bit more colour, have a beautiful 'ninebark' shrub which gives lovely clusters of white flowers but again this doesn't last very long then it's just a nice red/green leaf shrub.

Had a plesant blustery day today in the high 60s, just nice not scorching looks cooler for next week though , back to weeding duties:(

20. AlainK

After the heat wave, new summer growth. Pictures taken on July 9th, the heat is back again this week, 34° right now, and tomorrow will be even hotter.

- Acer p. 'Atropurpureum'
    - Acer p. 'Little Princess' (Syn. of 'Mapi no machi hime')
    - Acer p. 'Orange Dream'
    - Acer p. 'Red Wine'

PS: the white spots on some of the leaves show how hard the water is here. I used a chelated iron based fertilizer a couple of weeks ago to have a more efficient soil mix, and I think that's what gave them an extra boost. But now the pests (aphids and the like) are back again ^^

Attached Files:

21. ROEBUK

Must admit we in the UK have had a reasonable amount of warm weather recently ,nowhere near as hot as France but still very nice.

No signs of any Aphids or any other little bugs (thankfully) quite a few of the trees are going into second flush now while most of the others are all holding their colours well.

Posted a pic of my Red wine must be honest it's been somewhat neglected and left to it's own devices, just watered and left behind another 'shade' tree, then my 'Deshojo' just showing off it's lovely colours with a 'Hogyoku' as a companion back drop.

Attached Files:

22. jalcon

jalcon New Member

Took this picture of my Fireglow yesterday. Not bad color for the middle of summer...

Attached Files:

23. ROEBUK

That will be a super looking tree in about 3/4 years when it's grown some more shape, good stunning red colour at the moment though, holding well very pretty tree.

24. ROEBUK

Last batch of summer leaf pictures have noticed quite a few of the trees are starting to show very slight early colour variations/changes now, all the pics are of dissectums but all looking well, sometimes hard to to name unless you actually have one quite a few look so similar to each other, all have held well under the sun with very little leaf scorch present.

Have ones in full sun and ones in shade, all look different with varying degrees of colouration, until you look closely at the leaf structure they do take some sorting out!!

The variagated trees have done very well this year,showing good colours and holding very well in the light and shade.

Watnong
    Palmatifidum (shade)
    " " " (full sun)
    Pink filligree
    Garnet
    Green globe
    Tamuke yama (Very dark plum colour)
    Lionheart
    Seiryu
    Flavscens
    Red dragon
    Heartbeat
    Filligree
    Emerald lace
    Ornatum
    Nigrum
    Felice (Beautiful colour changes through out year)

Finally last picture a mystery dissectum anyone any ideas?? out of all my J/M this is the only one i don't have a name for, asked various people shown pictures even taken leaves no one can give me an answer.

Bought this 5 years back from a small garden centre,no ticket on it terrible condition even the guy who was selling it didn't have a clue. Yea it's a laceleaf maple was his reply when asked, had it for years no one ever wanted it £15 and you can take it. Badly formed and a split branch, but after lots of tlc pruning etc, and it's looking like it should do now.

Attached Files:

25. ROEBUK

Nine more pics which didn't appear on first page , are you only able to up load 18 pics at a time ? maf is that correct or have i done something wrong somewhere.

Baldsmith
    Toyama nishiki
    Viridis
    Pendulum julian
    Beni shidare tri colour
    Orangeola
    Waterfall
    Spring delight
    Crimson queen

Attached Files: