What is this growing out of my palm trees?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Texas Palm, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Texas Palm

Texas Palm Member

I noticed the things growing out of my palm trees and originally thought they were new palms sprouting, but I don't think they are. They grow FAST and are quite large. Can someone please help me?

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

They are flowers, my friend. If they get pollenated, by bees or parrots/birds, you will get berries and eventually seeds with any luck...

Ed

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

odd-looking flowers! i'd have been worried that something was wrong with the palm!!

4. Texas Palm

Texas Palm Member

Hey Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply! Are they something that I just let grow? And will they sprout into flowers like you said? And how do they get pollinated if they are like little seeds?

5. edleigh7

Just let it grow and the flowers will open soon and the birds and the bees (LOL) will do they're thing and you should get seeds I'd imagine...

Ed

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sorry to disappoint Texas Palm, but what you have is male infloresence (flowers) on your Windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei). You'll need a near-by female for this pollen to work it's magic and produce seed on that female tree.

Cheers, LPN.

7. Texas Palm

Texas Palm Member

How do I know if I have a Female Palm Tree? I have 3 other palm trees in the same yard. 2 of the 3 have the same flowers coming out. Does that mean that the one that doesn't is a female?

8. edleigh7

Barrie is right mate, I didn't even think about the male-female thing. Sorry to get your hopes up

Ed

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post photos of the flowers on the other trees? Should be able to tell if they are male or female from the pics.

10. LPN

Here's a couple of photos to help you identify your Trachycarpus gender.
    Each example shows the male flower on the left, female flowers on the right.
    Note that the female is much greener in color and won't release pollen when touched or disturbed.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

11. Texas Palm

Texas Palm Member

LPN,

That is Great Pictures! I have been trying to figure this out since they started sprouting. I was worried at first. Right now it looks like I have at least 1 male tree. The other 3 are still not fully out yet with the flowers. So I don't know what the other trees are, but with time will find out!

Thanks Again!

12. LPN

On average the male palms seem to be first to flower in this genus, but like you said you'll find out in due time.

Cheers, LPN.

13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

So it might be worth shaking the pollen off into a bag and storing it in the fridge until the females are open?

14. Texas Palm

Texas Palm Member

There is no pollin coming off the male trees at this time. The are still firm and havent opened up. The feel like coliflower.

15. tselby84

tselby84 New Member

Hello I too have been seeking information about the very same issue. This has been the 1st time my tree has done this and It has been growing for 10 years is that normal.

It has taken me ages to find anything on this because I couldn't remember what it actually was lol.

I assume I just leave them and they die off say end of summer or do I need to remove them etc. Unfortunately it seems that you obviously need a male and female version of these trees and I only have 1 so I'm guessing there is no chance of pollination.

Just 1 more question sorry , how big do they grow. It's getting a good size now and just wondered if the sky was the limit.

Thanks in advance