Rose Blooms

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rusty bumper, Jun 5, 2015.

1. rusty bumper

rusty bumper Member

Hi all,

How long do rose blooms last after they are fully open?

We planted a couple of rose bushes two months ago, and one of them is already blooming (yellow). However, the petals die and fall off after two or three days. Is this normal behavior? We have no idea what the names of these rose bushes are.

We live in the Mid-Atlantic region for what it's worth.

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

It varies depending on the variety/cultivar.

Weather (dry or rainy), temperature (hot or cool), sun exposure, may also have some impact on how long the blooms will last.

Since you planted your Roses only two months ago they are not yet fully established, what may also have some impact on the duration of blooms.

3. rusty bumper

rusty bumper Member

Thanks, Sundrop.

We pruned the two blooms, today, and pruned a few more areas as well. I take it that pruning will encourage root growth?

For years, we had an older red rose bush in the back yard, and it grew so high, we had to buy a trellis for it. However, the blooms on that bush did not last very long either. We were concerned with poor soil quality as the culprit because of weak rose color over the years.

Last Fall, one of the two supporting stems died. I cut it back thinking that the whole bush may be dying, but this spring, new growth has emerged at the base! The older remaining stem bloomed as well, but it did not look healthy, so today, I pruned it near the root. I put some Bayer systemic rose care granules around the base, so we are hoping for the best.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Try to improve your soil with organic, pesticide and herbicide free amendments like grass clippings, compost, leaf mold, wood chips, etc. You can also apply them as mulches. Soil with high organic material content is what Roses like the most.
    I would also recommend using only (if any) organic fertilizers. Chemical fertilizers, while giving short time boost to plants, have detrimental effect on the soil micro ecosystem, resulting in the decrease of soil fertility in the long run.

If you are looking for Roses with long lasting blooms you may find this interesting: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1701399/your-longest-lasting-blooms