Aquilegia

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by rootbboy, May 25, 2015.

1. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

I purchased an Aquilegia formosa from a nursery many years back, and then went away for a couple of years and nobody tended the garden. These are seedlings that have come and flowered, but the flowers look different from the Aquilegia formosa, and more similar to A. canadensis. Is it possible it hybridized with a neighbour's columbine, or are there simply variations in flower structure of A. formosa? Is anybody able to tell the difference? I have a lot of these seedlings, but if they are not the native I will get rid of them and try another A. formosa from a nursery.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A. vulgaris is common in local gardens and quite apparently crossed with A. formosa at a friend's place here to produce a rather interesting intermediate seedling. Another friend knew of an earlier instance having been seen in this region also. Flowers in your pictures seem to have paler, pinkish areas near the tips - the hybrid near here produced a cloud of coral pink flowers.

Otherwise if you suspect you may be growing A. canadensis I would look up what specific anatomical features distinguish A. canadensis and A. formosa. Maybe the columbines have been treated in eFloras Flora of North America by now.

3. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

Thanks Ron