Acer rufinerve 'Hatsuyuki'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, May 12, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A very nice variegated snakebark. Leaves can vary like most variegates in coloration. Strong grower. A beautiful landscape tree. Fantastic fall color. Reticulation coloring in bark in not as strong as other snakebarks.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

this is my Hatsuyuki from Esveld last spring, no word !!!

Attached Files:

3. alex66

autum coulor!!some one have more information on man that select this incredible maple?

Attached Files:

4. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Acer rufinerve 'Albolimbatum' leaves.jpg

Acer rufinerve 'Albolimbatum' leaf and fruit.JPG Hi, I am new to the forum so forgive any mistakes. I have the following Acer, labelled as A. r. 'Albo-limbatum' which seems identical to 'Hatsuyuki' but as you can see in photo 3, it has shrimp pink young growths which persist thru the winter. I have found any reference to this effect on any of the plant I have come across. Any ideas?

Sorry,
    Here is photo 3, showing pink shoots

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  5. alex66

hi Vdunne welcome!! Esveld have in stock r.Albolimbatum and Hatsuyuki ..for me are two different cultivar;may be the different is the rootstock;or different autumn color... I haven't a right idea sorry

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Ydunne,

What a gorgeous 'Albolimbatum'. (There is no dash in the cultivar name). I have 2 of these, neither has the very bold variegation yours shows. Maybe with time. However both my plants have the young reddish twigs, sometimes covered with a white or gray bloom.

I don't know the proper answer except to say that the original and registered old cultivar name in the west was Albolimbatum. Now it may be that the Japanese name was Hatsuyuki, and since 'Albolimbatum' is illegal by modern standards, there is a movement to readopt the original name. Just speculating...

I do know that several years ago the Esveld site had these as the same plant, although now they are different as Alex points out. "Maples of the World" lists them as synonyms. For one of my plants, I ordered 'Albolimbatum' and received a plant labeled 'Hatsuyuki!'

I am also interested in the response, if someone with closer ties to Japan would care to comment; Mr. Shep?

-E

7. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Thanks, Emery and Alex, I am trying to visit the site of the tree to get a photo of the plant in winter and hope to do so over the while when the evenings get brighter for a photo.

8. Butch388

Butch388 Member

acer rufinereve hatsuyuki

Can anyone tell me if this tree will grow in northern oHio/ We are in zone 6b, but it got down to 14 below last winter. Would mulching help to keep it from freezing? Thanks, butch388