Variegation

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tiko7, May 15, 2015.

1. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

I found out that these 3 planted trees(3 years ago) by our city council have strange variegation this year.
    Last two years they had the usual green leave colour.
    Do you think it is temporary or maybe they were grafted varietes which shows the variegation 2 years after palnting?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      106.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      85.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      88.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      64.7 KB
      Views:
  2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Variegation will change year by year with different cultivars. That tree is a Orido or some other variety. But I could be wrong I'm no pro.
    Very nice tree.

Pat

3. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Thanks Patdero1,
    I doubt that these are cultivars, for 2 years they stayed green ,must be something in the wind as I have some seedlings showing the same variegation.
    But I am growing and collecting maples for only a couple of years and I am still shocked from anything unusual and unknown

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Hi tiko7,
    Very beautiful trees with lovely variegation. If they are a grafted variety? Then you are going to be able to see a graft most times. (except for root grafted trees) Your photos don't really show the whole trunk of the tree to gain insight. If you can't noticeable see a graft? Chances are? In definition, only makes it a seedling tree. Some seedlings can come true to form of their cultivar parent. But really, a batch of seedlings from the same tree can put out a remarkable amount of variances within these seedlings. Often, the unique qualities of theses seedlings are not even displayed or noticed until the tree is 3-5 years of age. Nice trees and lovely fu.

5. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Anyway I am going to graft some scions in August if the leaves keep that colour.
    In the meantime I am trying to find who planted the trees and where they originated.
    Thank you for the replies