Acer palmatum 'Ariadne'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by industrial, May 5, 2004.

1. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I like it for a bit of subtlety. Not exceptional for color when compared to similar varieties, but the structure and texture are nice as the tree matures. I actually like it better when sited in partial shade when it can be viewed from below.

Attached Files:

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

That's such a lovely photo. Its colorlessness is a highlight, there.

I'm enjoying the spring colors quite a bit-- I can see why this is a popular cultivar.

Attached Files:

3. maplesmagpie

That Ariadne died, unfortunately, but I found I enjoyed it so much throughout the summer that I've bought another one. Its color changes, and its red blush in the sun, are very enjoyable. I'll be keeping this one in the shade, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it does.

Attached Files:

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is definately a tree that requires some good shade to get the best colourful results throughout the year.

Have posted two pictures of the same tree, first pic 28/08/2014 then the second pic 28/08/2015 exactly one years difference but note the colouration and growth of the tree on the second pic just by moving the tree at the end of the 2014 season to it's new spot, literally no more than 10 feet to the side of my kennel which gives 80% shade throughout the day then only gets the last dying rays of sun in the evening, then that's just filtered light/sun through a large slated wood fence.

Superb colourful green veining on the sandy/tan spring leaves very pretty, hope your new one does well for you would'nt be without mine

Attached Files:

5. maplesmagpie

That's a remarkable difference!

I can see why you say you wouldn't be without yours. All the other reticulated maples are interesting, but I haven't wanted them in my yard. This one I definitely want. I'll pot it and baby it for a few years, then see if I can find a place it would be happy in the yard.

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Strangely i had my Ariadne, Peaches and cream and Kasagi yama all in the same spot you can just see either one to the left and right of the Ariadne, all three loved where they were situated and gave a superb showing all season last year, plus the level of demarcation and colour variations in all of the leaves was amazing to look at, all completely different in there own right but interesting to see that they are all very similar.

Attached Files:

Suze415 and maplesmagpie like this.
  7. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I just received an Ariadne from Davidsans a few days ago. It came already leafed out. Wow, the spring color is outstanding!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  8. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Pictures of Ariadne in the rain.

Attached Files:

dangerine49 and ROEBUK like this.
  9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In Britain this is an RHS Award of Garden Merit variety. The AGM is the RHS' highest endorsement.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  10. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It’s a good doer, no dieback and takes sun.

11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Ariadne is my favourite maple, so I thought I would add a few of my photos on here taken this Spring 2020 plus Summer and Autumn 2019.
    This shows the wonderful colours you get when planting this cultivar in your garden, or in a pot. It takes full sun comfortably in my garden.

D

Attached Files:

sun and AlainK like this.
  12. Acerholic

The 21st July 2020 and some have asked me "how is your Ariane doing in all the heat". Well here it is, photo taken this morning. The leaves are just perfect IMO. My favourite maple of all !!

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  13. Acerholic

22nd July and the leaves are turning more. The greens in the basal lobes are becoming more intense each day.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I've had this this in full shade and here is the result.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, Mine is in full sun all day long and keeps its reds into September. It is amazing D to see full green Ariadne 's.

sun likes this.
  16. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Good evening D. I like the reds on yours. I think i will find it a place in full sun next year.

17. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, mine takes the full sun very well D , so not too much to worry about compared to others.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  18. Acerholic

This morning 4th August 2020, saw the sun shining on my Aridane, it has not stopped sparkling all Summer and now we are into August I cannot see it ending until the Autumn colours arrive.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    What changes are occurring now on my Ariadne !!!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    My favourite maple looks like it's covered in a sugar coating this morning. Got far too wet looking at it, but hey ho !!!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    My Aridane is changing fast now, but still holding those reds. It has not suffered as other maples in my collection have. So once again a good all round favourite in my garden.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    My Ariadne is coping well and really turning now. The shorter days are now having quite an effect.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    My favourite maple with dew on the leaves on a sunny morning. Doesn't get much better for me in my garden !!

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    Ariadne so very colourful today and has been all Summer tbh.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files: