Identification: Please help me ID this wildflower in the North Okanagan

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by HonnaRiverFarm HaidaGwaii, May 1, 2015.

1. HonnaRiverFarm HaidaGwaii

HonnaRiverFarm HaidaGwaii New Member

Hi there,

I'm just passing through Kelowna and I came across this wildflower on a well-drained, south-facing slope on the side of the highway. I'm not familiar with the area and am not sure what this is. Any feedback would be appreciated! (It's currently in bloom).

Here is the picture: [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    E

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Delphinium.

3. Joshua C

Joshua C New Member

hmmm it does looks like larkspur to me. You can even dry the flowers but you need to be tender with them. Also good for floral display on base but you may need to wash your hands well as they can be toxic.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Larkspur is a common name for Delphinium, though if I'm understanding it correctly, there is one Delphinium that does not seem to be called larkspur.

5. Joshua C

Joshua C New Member

Indeed in general. Here in UK, mostly called Larkspur to prevent confusion. Delphiniums are usually perennial.

6. HonnaRiverFarm HaidaGwaii

Thank you for the quick response everyone!

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    yes, it looks like a Nuttal's larkspur (Latin: Delphinium nuttalis...... (can't remember how to spell it right now))

it is common at this time of year up and down the OK Valley and there are several types which are distinguished by their leaves and other tiny details - it likes some moisture in order to leaf out, grow a spike, then bloom. By the heat of July/August up in the Okanagan - it is a stem of seed pods where the flowers once bloomed. I'd say the ones I know are commonly 12 inches tall. There is an excellent display of them on the KVR Transcanada trail between Chute Lake and the Big Tunnel above Naramata. It is not difficult to find in range land because the cattle know not to eat it (toxic)

You might find this book very handy - "Plants of Southern Interior British Columbia" by Parish/Coupe/Lloyd - published by Lone Pine and readily available. Don't loan it out - it's too good to loan and get lost. I keep a copy in the car and one on the bookcase. There is one for Coastal BC which would cover Haida Gwaii. http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/cat/nature

I am always amazed that our huge province is so diverse in terms of flora and fauna - from moss hanging out of huge evergreens, to arbutus and garry oaks, to mariposa (sagebrush) lilies and tiny cacti and everything in between - then prairie over the Pine Pass Hwy97.

8. HonnaRiverFarm HaidaGwaii

I believe it! My plants of Haida Gwaii book went missing for many months.... Thanks for the insight!